Roi-Namur is an island in the northern part of Kwajalein Atoll in the Ralik Islands of the Republic of the Marshall Islands. ( The Marshall Islands, , is an island country located in the Pacific Ocean, in the Micronesia region. To the southwest are the Federated States of Micronesia, to the south is Nauru and to the southeast, Kiribati.), about half-way between Hawaii and Australia.
Occupied by the Imperial Japanese Army before World War II, the island was the target of the 4th Marine Division at the Battle of Kwajalein in February 1944.
ALCOR, ALTAIR, MMW and TRADEX radar stations are located on Namur. There is also a small missile base from which short-range missiles are commonly fired for testing purposes. Today about 120 American and Marshallese employees of the Reagan Test Site live on Roi-Namur. The apartments and leisure facilities are located on Roi. There is a golf course , a swimming pool, diving club, cinema and ball sports fields. In 1985, Roi-Namur was added to the National Register of Historic Places as a National Historic Landmark.
Access : Coordinates: 9.396111, 167.475833 / Roi-Namur is an island in the Marshall Islands. It is located in the municipality of Kwajalein, in the northwestern part of the Marshall Islands, 500 km northwest of the capital Majuro / Freeflight International Airport is a smaller airfield with a single taxiway that is primarily used for passenger transport.
- The Kwajalein Atoll : The Kwajalein Atoll is the heart of the Marshall Islands and is approximately 3,900 kilometers from Hawaii. The atoll consists of 97 islands and covers an area of 6.33 square kilometers. The atoll encloses one of the world’s largest lagoons with an area of 839 square kilometers
Roi-Namur is the second largest island and is located on the northern tip of the Kwajalein Atoll. It consists of two larger island bodies that are connected by a narrow central part. Roi is in the west and Namur in the east.
- There are the “Green Beaches” (Namur, south coast) and the “Red Beaches” (Roi, south and west).
- There are also crumbling buildings and pillbox bunkers from the Japanese occupation.
- On January 31, 1944, the battle for Kwajalein Atoll began in the Pacific Theater of World War II, which was fought between the Japanese troops defending it and the Americans attacking them.
- Kwajalein is an atoll in the Marshall Islands.Although a restricted US Department of Defense missile research and testing site, and not accessible to the general public.
Go next : Majuro is the capital and largest city of the island state of the Marshall Islands, located in the Ratak archipelago.