St. Thomas is one of the US Virgin Islands in the Caribbean. The island was previously a Danish-Norwegian colony, as part of the Danish West Indies.
The island has an area of 81 km2 and had 51,000 inhabitants in 2000. The main town is Charlotte Amalie, capital of the archipelago. Saint-Thomas was once one of the haunts of corsairs, pirates and buccaneers and it is a customs and tax free zone (like other Caribbean islands: Saint-Martin, Saba, Saint-Eustache or Anguilla), which makes it one of the tax havens of the United States.
The island was a very important center of trade in the Caribbean due to its good natural harbor. The most important industry today is tourism.This area is also famous for its discount and duty-free shopping. You can find a wide variety of clothing, electronics, jewelry, and perfume stores on the streets of Charlotte Amalie.
Access : Coordinates: 18.333333, -64.916667 / St. Thomas is the second largest of the US Virgin Islands, and is located in the Caribbean Sea, east of Puerto Rico.
- Charlotte Amalie is the largest city in the Virgin Islands and is located on the southern tip of St. Thomas Island.
- Nearly 2 million cruise passengers disembark at Charlotte Amalie. The capital of St. Thomas.
- The island’s most famous feature is Magen’s Bay, just opposite the northern part of the capital.
- The 99 Steps, which is an 18th-century staircase located near Blackbeard’s Castle and Fort Christian, which was built as a fortress in the 1600s
- town of Frenchtown, famous for its restaurants, taverns, nightclubs, and Creole-speaking locals.
- There are more than 40 beaches along the St. Thomas coast, all of which are less than a 25-minute drive from Charlotte Amalie.
- Top sights in St. Thomas : Paradise Point offers excellent views of the capital and the port. / Hull Bay , perfect spot for surfing / Blackbeard’s Castle / Fort Christian / Haagensen House / Coral World Ocean Park. / Coki Beach. / Beracha Synagogue Veshalom Vegimulth Hasidim / Frederick Evangelical Lutheran Church, was founded in 1666. / Cathedral Church of All Saints / Red Hook / Saints Peter and Paul Cathedral / Sapphire Beach.
Go next : Water Island, a small island crisscrossed by trails that lead to an old abandoned sugar mill.