Sidi Bou Saïd is an artists’ village about 20 km northeast of Tunis in northern Tunisia.
The tourist town is best known for its beautiful colors, its market (souk) and the Café des Nattes, which was made famous by a watercolor by August Macke.
Today Sidi Bou Saïd has also become a meeting point for artists, both from the young domestic bourgeoisie and from foreign tourists. The place is known for its architecture with its old restored palaces , A tourist hotspot in the colors of the Mediterranean Sea, classified since 1915, the site is nicknamed the “little white and blue paradise”.
Access : Coordinates: 36.866667, 10.333333 /
Highlights and Best Things to Do in Sidi Bou Said :
- The houses of Sidi Bou Saïd which combine Arab and Andalusian architecture, externally dazzling white and with blue doors.
- During the 1920s, the French painter Rodolphe d’Erlanger applied the blue-white theme throughout the city.
- Sidi Bou Saïd is also renowned for its cafes whose terraces are popular places for relaxation among Tunis residents and visitors.
- Shopping : Souq : The shops on the main street are very geared towards tourists. The range of goods is wide and also includes handicrafts.
- What to do : Photos , Sidi Bou Said has breathtaking white and blue colors throughout the country, which will force you to take lots of photos.
- Top sights in Sidi Bou Said : Dar El Annabi, the large residence of Mufti Mohamed Taïeb El Annabi, formerly Dar Ennaïfer, was built in the 18th century and remodeled in 1955. Made up of around fifty rooms, it is nicknamed the “palace of a thousand and nights” / The Naceur Bey Palace / Home of music, the village also hosts the Center for Arab and Mediterranean Music in the palace of Rodolphe d’Erlanger (1872-1932) / In addition to several artists’ studios, other galleries may found at the village / Family House. An old house transformed into a museum.
Go next : The ruins of Carthage / La Goulette ,on the Mediterranean coast / La Marsa , a sea-side settlement in Northern Tunisia. / Quamart ,a resort on Mediterranean coast.