Frielendorf is a small-town in the Schwalm-Eder district in northern Hesse- Germany. First mentioned in a document by the Premonstratensian monks of the Spieskappel monastery (today a district of Frielendorf) in 1197, Frielendorf celebrated the 800th anniversary in 1997 together with 7 other districts.
In later years the region around Frielendorf was shaped by lignite mining for a century and a half – well into the second half of the 20th century.
Lignite mining and Frielendorf colliery : Until the mid-sixties of the 20th century, the large community was mainly characterized by lignite mining.
Today the exhibition “Die Zeche Frielendorf” tells the story of lignite mining. A model of the former colliery site, historical photographs, explanatory texts and numerous exhibits describe the former industrial history.
One of the most important tourism projects in the Schwalm-Eder district was created in the former open-cast mine, the Silbersee.
Access : Coordinates: 50.983333, 9.333333 / The Neuental interchange on Autobahn A 49 is about 11 km away./ Frielendorf located on Federal Highway B 254 (Homberg – Fulda).
- The Silbersee vacation rental park is located east of Frielendorf on the Silbersee. The monastery park in Spieskappel is also a popular destination.
- Church of St. Johannes in Spieskappel : In the Spieskappel district stands the St. Johannes Church of the former Spieskappel Monastery, consecrated in 1255, which originally belonged to the Premonstratensian Canons of Cappel, which was founded in 1143.
- The Verna Village Museum provides information about village living culture, furniture and hand tools.
- Silbersee : In the former open-cast mine near Frielendorf, one of the most important tourism projects in the Schwalm-Eder district was created with the Silbersee. A natural bathing lake, the Silbersee, has emerged from the former open-cast lignite mine.
- The Spiessurm (also called “Spieskappeler Warte”) is a medieval watch tower, on the road between Spieskappel and Oberbegrenzebach
- the museum shop with the exhibition Die Zeche Frielendorf information is provided about the history of Frielendorf and the former lignite mining in and around the village.
Activities : sightseeing / photo opportunities / leisure activities (Silbersee bobsleigh, miniature train, boat rental, mountain bike trails, etc.
Go next : the spa town of Bad Zwesten , in the Schwalm-Eder district in northern Hesse, where there is a mineral spring known as Bad Zwestener Löwensprudel.