Au is a mountain village in the Bregenz Forest, at an altitude of 800 meters. in the state of Vorarlberg,in western Austria. It is located in the middle of the beautiful alpine landscape ,in the north of the state, near the border with Germany (state of Bavaria), the Arlberg mountains that separate it from the state of Tyrol, and Lake Constance.
The Au settlement founded by the Alemanni was the home of the well-known Au Guild, which in the 17th century played a decisive role in developing and spreading Baroque architecture in Switzerland, southern Germany and Alsace. In Au, for example, the well-known Vorarlberg cathedral scheme, the well-known Au builders Thumb and Beer, came into being.
Au has always been a center of cheese production that once supplied all of Austria and Lombardy with the famous Vorarlberg alpine and mountain cheese and is still known today for its exquisite cheese specialties.
The village of Au in the Bregenz district in the Austrian state of Vorarlberg is strongly influenced by tourism and is located in the middle of the rear Bregenzerwald.
Access : Coordinates: 47.316667, 9.983333 / Au is situated on the L200, the Bregenzerwald Bundesstrasse – The Bregenzerwaldstraße (L 200) is a state road in Austria. It is 62.3 km long and runs from Dornbirn via Bezau, Schoppernau and Schröcken to Warth, where it meets the Lechtalstraße (L 198). / Public transportion consists of the Postbus Line 40, running from Dornbirn to Schoppernau. In winter there is also a free bus service running through the town for skiers and locals.
- The parish church of St. Leonhard: The church is surrounded by a walled cemetery in the NE. It was built in the Gothic style around 1390 instead of a chapel ,had stood at this point since 1372.
- Saint Josef Church : The church was built in 1664 and enlarged at the beginning of the 18th century. The church was consecrated in 1717 and enlarged in 1934. St. Josef, which has a very beautiful high altar, which is decorated with a picture by the famous Au painter Wendelin Moosbrugger.
- Pilgrimage chapel Maria Schnee in Argen / Pilgrimage chapel Our Lady in the Forest in Berngat.
- The hiking and skiing mountain Diedamskopf is very close, easily accessible by bus. The nearby ski area on the Diedamskopf and enjoy the wonderful view. Cross-country trails accompany the Bregenzerache. Guided winter and snowshoe hikes take place regularly.
- The “Handling Bregenzerwald” village tour through Au and the neighboring village of Schoppernau provides insights into the Bregenzerwald design culture. Discreet, rust-colored pillars draw attention to the individual stations.
- the Diedamskopf Fliegerberg, from which paragliders and hang-gliders take off on extended flights over Au in Vorarlberg and the entire Bregenzerwald region.The Diedamskopf is not only a highlight mountain for natural snow lovers and hikers, but also one of the most beautiful mountains for paragliders and hang-gliders in the Bregenz Forest. –
The Bregenzerwald flight school is the center for paragliders on the Diedamskopf.The Diedamskopf Fliegerberg : Three starting places for paragliders
Two launch ramps for hang-gliders, Start directions to the south, east or west, Height difference of up to 1,140 meters, Tandem flights possible , Supervision by the Bregenzerwald flight school.
- Former wooden hunting lodge. It was built at the end of the 19th century by the English banker Sir John Maund, who at that time leased the entire hunt in the rear of the Bregenzerwald. Crown Prince Wilhelm von Hohenzollern and his entourage were often a guest in the “Villa Maund”, which can still be visited today.
- Hike : Au and the surrounding area offer you over 200 km of hiking trails from the valley to our mountain peaks.
- The Diedamskopf ski area in the four-country region is known for its panorama and the excellent, varied natural snow slopes.In addition to the fantastic view, 40 varied kilometers of slopes and ski routes ensure a very enjoyable day of skiing. The Diedamskopf ski area was even awarded the “Skiarea-Test” for the best.
Activities : sightseeing / photo opportunities / Whether hiking, mountain biking, cycling or racing bike tours / the Bregenzerwald bike school, based in Au, offers guided bike, mountain bike and e-bike tours, as well as courses and camps. / Paragliding in Austria.
Go next : Alpine region of Vorarlberg : Damüls , a village community and popular tourist resort in the district of Bregenz in the westernmost Austrian state of Vorarlberg./ Schoppernau , a town in the Bregenzerwald Region of the Austrian state of Vorarlberg.