Off the coast of St Ives there is a series of dangerous rocks called the stones (“the stones”) which caused many accidents , The event that ultimately determined the construction of the lighthouse was the sinking of the “PSS Nile” on November 11, 1854. The lighthouse was built in 1858-1859. There were two lighthouse keepers working there, operating two different lights: white with a period of 10 seconds and red constant locating rocks. Their range was 17 and 15 miles, respectively.
The lighthouse is a white octagonal stone tower 26 m high. It is located almost in the center of the island and was built with houses for the caretakers. Virginia Woolf spent her holidays in St Ives when she was a child. The region was a source of inspiration for his novel – To the Lighthouse -(1927). It has now been protected as a Grade II UK listed building since 1988.
Access : Coordinates: 50.2425, -5.400278 /
Go next : Carbis Bay , a seaside resort and village in Cornwall. / Connor Downs , a village in west Cornwall, England.