The Gulf of Porto is a gulf of the Mediterranean Sea located on the western facade of Corsica ( Corsica is an island in the Mediterranean. ) , France.
The Gulf of Porto is on the rugged west coast of Corsica. The bay with its rugged rocky coasts is protected as a World Heritage Site.The rocky and steeply sloping gulf offers numerous small sand and gravel bays. The gulf is divided between the ancient caves of Sia (north shore) and Salogna (south shore).The absolute highlight is the Calanche of Piana, where orange-red rocks rise in bizarre shapes. Numerous hikes near the coast but also in the mountains are possible.
The Gulf of Porto is part of the Corsica Regional Nature Park (Parc naturel regional de Corse), which was founded in 1972. The 3,500 km² park area extends in the interior of the island over the high mountains with the Lac de Nino to the Col de Bavella in southern Corsica. The gulf, together with calanques de Piana, the gulf of Girolata and the Scandola reserve, has been integrated into the Unesco World Heritage Site since 1983.
A the The Gulf of Porto There are several campsites in Porto where you can spend a whole vacation.
Access : Coordinates: 42.283333, 8.6 / the gulf of Porto, located on the western coast of the island, between the city of Ajaccio and Calvi, nestled between the calanques of Piana to the south and Cape Girolata to the north. / getting there by plane : The closest airports are Ajaccio and Calvi.
- the Genoese tower of Porto, one of the four square towers of the island, which was built in 1552 and renovated in 1992. Indeed, it was destroyed by an explosion of the powder reserve.
- World Heritage :The Gulf as well as the Calanche de Piana, the Gulf of Girolata and the Scandola reserve further north, have been inscribed since 1983 on the World Heritage List.
- Porto is – as the name already says – the main village of the Gulf and is located at the mouth of the river of the same name, where there are beautiful bathing places.center” of the region with breakwater, beach, accommodation, restaurants and shops. There are also a few campsites.
- Northern part of the Gulf : Bussaglia Beach The very beautiful pebble beach of Bussaglia is surrounded on both sides by steep rocks.
- Porto Beach The Porto pebble beach is monitored seasonally. This also has its reason: The depth of the water increases quickly and by corresponding wind, there is also quickly a real backwash. If the red flag is raised, then swimming is prohibited! There are family-friendly beaches on the north and south side of the gulf.
- Climbing : At the southern end of the beach, there are beautiful rocks to climb. Here you can have all the degrees of difficulty from 3 – 7+.
- Village of PianaPiana must, says at least one sign at the entrance of the village, belong to one of the most beautiful villages in all of France.
- The coastal road can be seen as the first attraction. The many curves always result in new attractive sea views.
- Col de la Croix” viewpoint. From the parking lot at the Col de la Croix of the coastal road you have an attractive view of the 250 lower gulf of Porto. A panorama board explains the panorama. Price: freely accessible.
- Capo d’Orto. The 1294 m high, rugged coastal mountain shapes the panorama of the Gulf of Porto. It can be climbed in a demanding mountain hike.
- Capo Rosso with “Tour de Turghju”. The rugged Capo Rosso limits the Gulf of Porto to the south. The “Tour de Turghju” stands on the 250 m high cliff. The old watchtower is only accessible on foot. Price: freely accessible.
- Calanche. The rocky landscape of the “Calanche” with its characteristic red rocks can be found east of Piana. The coastal road winds its way up through these rugged rock formations coming from Porto. In the middle of the rocky landscape there is even a restaurant on the coastal road.
- Pont de Zaglia – Bridge of Zaglia : Perfectly representative of the Genoese bridges, the Zaglia bridge (historic monument) was built in 1797 by Antonio Bensa so that the inhabitants of the coasts could move more easily.The Spilonca gorges are located between Evisa and Ota.
Activities : diving ,At the port, there are several diving schools / Climbing / Excursion boats are offered at the Scandola nature reserve / sightseeing / photo opportunities / trekking – Long distance walking / swimming, and casual relaxing / enjoy stunning views : Above Piana there is a marvelous viewpoint which can be easily reached by car.
Go next : after 8 winding kilometers, the village of Partinello. / a tour of the gulf and the Scandola nature reserve. / Girolata – The small coastal town can only be reached on foot or by boat. / Osani village located just below the coastal road north of Partinello. / Corte , a city located in the Haute-Corse department