Montrésor is a French small town in the Indre-et-Loire department in the Center-Val de Loire region, central France. it belongs to the Arrondissement of Loches and the Canton of Loches.
Like many others, the village has its origins in a castle built in the 11th century by Fulko Nerra, Count of Anjou. From this complex some remains of the dungeon from the 12th century with its surrounding curtain wall have been preserved. Today’s Montrésor Castle was built by the then heir of Montresor, Imbert de Bastarnay, at the beginning of the 16th century, as well as a collegiate church (today parish church), which is one of the most important religious buildings of the Renaissance in France.
The place and the castle, which looks down from a rocky ledge, have a delightful location on the banks of the Indrois. For this, Montrésor was accepted into the association “Les plus beaux villages de France” (The most beautiful villages in France).
Access : Coordinates: 47.1567, 1.2017 / Montrésor located in the Indre-et-Loire department in central France.
- Montrésor is listed as one of the “Les plus beaux villages de France” – ‘Most beautiful villages in France’.
- The medieval fortress-Château de Montrésor. It was commissioned to be built in the 11th century by Fulco Nerra, Count of Anjou and which after subsequent renovations stands out for its Renaissance apartments.
- Also worth seeing are an old wash house on the river, the market hall La Halle des Cardeux from 1700, whose name recalls the flourishing textile trade , and the Logis du Chancelier (today mayor’s office) from 1581.
- The Saint-Jean chapel is very close to the Charterhouse. It is a small, unusual rotunda made of white ashlar stones, with arched windows, a cornice that cranks around the windows, an arched frieze and a low conical roof.
- Not far from Montrésor, in Chemillé-sur-Indrois, are the ruins of the former Carthusian monastery of Chartreuse Saint-Jean du Liget (1170–1791).
- The town hall. Built in 1581 and known by the nickname of the logis du Chancelier (to highlight its Renaissance sentry boxes).
- The collegiate church of San Juan Bautista. Founded by Imbert de Batarnay around 1520 and classified as Monument historique since 1840.
- The Halle des Cardeux, where an important wool market was held in the 19th century.
Go next : Beaumont-Village / Villeloin-Coulangé / Chemillé-sur-Indrois / Orbigny / Nouans-les-Fontaines.