National Highway 52 is a is a paved road in Argentina,
which lies to the west of the province of Salta and southwest of Jujuy province. Its 263-kilometer course links National Highway 9 to the city of Purmamarca with the Paso de Jama Pass, located at 4,400 meters above sea level on the Chilean border, it continues by the road no 27, towards Calama (Calama is in the region of Antofagasta in northern Chile.)
As part of the IIRSA-defined “Capricorn Axis”, designed to connect southern Brazil with the ports of northern Chile on the Pacific Ocean, Paraguay and Brazil. On the Chilean side This road continues in the neighboring republic as route 27-CH, which runs to the town of San Pedro de Atacama, in northern Chile. The bioceanic corridor continues along routes 23-CH, 25 and 5, to the city of Antofagasta.
The cities and towns through which this route passes :Province of Jujuy ,National Route 52 in the Salinas Grandes. Route: 86 km (km 0 to 86). /Tumbaya Department: Purmamarca (km 3), La Cienaga (km 11) and slope of the Lipan (km 17). /Province of Salta
Route: 24 km (km 86 to 110)./ La Poma Department: there are no towns./Province of Jujuy Route: 153 km (km 110 to 263)./ Susques Department: Susques (km 138).Intersections RN 9 in Purmamarca, RN 1V40 61 km from the previous town and RN 40 in Susques.
Access : Coordinates: Purmamarca , -23.733333, -65.483333 /Cuesta de Lipan,En decimal-23.6856°, -65.6211°/Paso de Jama ,-23.2375°, -67.076389°
- La quebrada de Siete Colores : The Hill of the Seven Colors is in Purmamarca, in the Quebrada de Humahuaca, Province of Jujuy, Argentina. It is a place with great magnetism and one of the most photographed in northwestern Argentina.
- Abra Lipan pass : Cuesta del Lipan-Lipan Slope- is a section of steep zigzag on the National Route 52, located in the department of Tumbaya, province of Jujuy, Argentina ( maximum height of the road) in the Abra de Potrerillos at an elevation of 4.170 meters above sea level. Beyond this point, the RN52 continues through the Salinas Grandes to Paso de Jama .
- Salinas Grandes (Jujuy y Salta) : Salinas Grandes is the denomination of a salt of the Argentine provinces of Jujuy and located in the high plateau or puna of the northwest of Argentina.Distant at 66 km from Purmamarca and accessing through National Route 52 at an average altitude of 3450 meters above sea level.
- Paso de Jama : El Paso de Jama is a border crossing between the republics of Chile and Argentina,The pass links the city of Jujuy in Argentina with San Pedro de Atacama in Chile. located at 4200 meters above sea level, allows a fluid road link in the northern region of both countries and constitutes a strategic sector of the Bioceanic Corridor that connects the ports of Atlantic with those of the Pacific,The customs between both countries, is processed in height, at 4200msnm, which makes breathing difficult due to lack of oxygen,
- Quebrada de Humahuaca : The Quebrada de Humahuaca is a narrow mountain valley located in the province of Jujuy in northwest Argentina , The Quebrada de Humahuaca was made a UNESCO World Heritage Site on 2 July 2003.
- Laguna de Guayatayoc : Laguna de Guayatayoc is a body of salty water in Argentina, located in the south of the Cochinoca Department, in the province of Jujuy.The lake is almost united with the Salinas Grandes,It is a place where you can see, among others, large populations of different varieties of flamingos: the parina chica, the big parina and the austral flamenco.
- La laguna de Vilama : The lagoon of Vilama is a body of endorheic water that is located in the altiplanica region of the northwest of Argentina, in a bordering area with the southwest of Bolivia.
- Laguna de los Pozuelos : The natural monument Laguna de los Pozuelos is a protected natural area of Argentina, which is located in the north of the province of Jujuy, covering part of the Rinconada, Yavi and Santa Catalina.
Tip : At Abra de Potrerillos (Mirador a 4170msnm) ,The highest point on the road. You can admire the whole landscape and the route traveled from there. Awesome sight! You can also buy the crafts that the locals do, they are beautiful!,from where the RN52 continues through the Salinas Grandes towards the Paso de Jama .
The route has great photo opportunities , beautiful winding roads and amazing landscapes and impressive views at the The highest points
Note : Caution! some parts of this route are classified as “the most dangerous roads of the world” and it takes a lot of attention but also preparation by travelers.
Go next : Northern Chile , Calama / San Pedro de Atacama / Torres del Paine National Park / Atacama Desert