The Santa Maddalena mountain village is located in Val di Funes,( South Tyrol in northern Italy ) at the foot of the Odle Group ( The Gruppo delle Odle mountain range is one of the most famous mountain ranges in South Tyrol. The highest peak of the chain is Sass Rigais, on the same level with Furchetta peak – their height is 3025 meters. ) in the area called “upstream” precisely because it is the last place you come across as you go up the valley. It has about 370 inhabitants and is located at an altitude of 1339 meters.
Santa Maddalena It is located at 1339 meters above sea level almost 20 kilometers south-east of Bressanone and offers one of the most beautiful views in all of South Tyrol. In winter Maddalena offers a ski lift, directly from the town center, ideal for taking the first steps on skis. Cross-country skiers can let off steam along the Zannes ring, as well as along the Russis – Halslhütte – Passo delle Erbe track.
Access : Coordinates: / Santa Maddalena located in the Trentino-Alto Adige region of Northern Italy.
- The Church of Santa Maddalena which, according to legend, was built in this place because the waters of the Rio Fopal dragged a miraculous painting up there depicting Santa Maddalena. This small church, together with the Odle peaks in the background, is one of the most photographed subjects of the Dolomites.
- Santa Maddalena is the place where the most popular photographic subjects are to be found
- During the summer season Santa Maddalena in Val di Funes is the ideal place for those who want to undertake excursions in nature.
- Speck festival with the coronation of the Speck Queen at the beginning of October.
- Odle nature park there is something for every taste. In Santa Maddalena there is also the Puez-Odle visitor center where visitors can “touch the mountains” and discover the “wonders of nature”.
- Not far from Santa Maddalena is the Malga di Zannes, the starting point for various excursions throughout the year.
- The Gruppo delle Odle mountain range is one of the most famous mountain ranges in South Tyrol. The highest peak of the chain is Sass Rigais, on the same level with Furchetta peak – their height is 3025 meters.
- winter action : Passo delle Erbe cross-country track 12 km from Croce Russis (Skating). Cross-country ski loop Zannes hut 4 km from the Zannes hut (Skating). Passo delle Erbe cross-country ski center of 7 km (Skating).
Go next : Explore picturesque Val di Funes. / Alpe di Zannes. / The Puez-Odle Dolomite Naturepark.