Stone Mushrooms of Akkurum in the Ulagan district of the Altai Republic ( Altai Republic is a federal subject in Russia located in the south of Western Siberia, part of the Siberian Federal District ) . are an unusual structure created by nature itself. Located in Ulagan district, the “Stone mushrooms” is one of the landmarks of Gorny Altai, which is an unusual landform formed as a result of selective leaching. On the right bank of the Chulyshman River.
The Chulyshman river flows near the stone mushrooms of the Akkurum natural boundary, flowing from the high-mountainous lake Dzhulukul and flowing into the beautiful Teletskoye lake 15 kilometers from the natural boundary. From the slope of the mountain, a wonderful view of the river and the valley around opens.
The similarity of Altai kurums with mushrooms is given by stone slabs lying on stone pillars in the form of hats. The explanation is simple – the rock of the stone caps is much stronger than the material of the “leg” and is less susceptible to weathering.
Apparently Stone Mushrooms of Akkurum , due to its inaccessibility, nature in these places has been preserved almost in its original form.The nature along the entire length of the road is unusually picturesque and diverse, because it is not for nothing that the stone mushrooms is recognized as one of the ten most beautiful in the world.
In the Chulyshman valley and near the Katu-Yaryk pass there are several guest houses and tourist centers, convenient for rest and overnight stay.
Access : Coordinates: 51° 6′ 37.90″ N 87° 58′ 29.83″ E / Location: Altai, Ulaganskiy rayon, Russia / The Akkurum tract ( Akkurum, meaning “white rockslide” ) , where natural statues are located, is located on the right bank of the Chulyshman River, in the Karasu gorge. This place is halfway from the Katu-Yaryk pass to Lake Teletskoye.
Distance from Biysk – 580 kilometers, from Gorno-Altaysk – 480 kilometers, from the village of Aktash – 130 kilometers.
/ How to get to Altai stone mushrooms :
The way to the Akkurum tract by car starts from the Aktash village, after which you need to turn left towards the Ulagan village.
- The height of the mushrooms is from 1 to 7 meters, the diameter of the pillars is from 0.5 to 2.5 meters. In terms of size, distinguish between “young” and “old” mushrooms. The legs are composed of small stones and therefore rough, and the caps are smoother and more uniform.
- From the tract you can see a wonderful panorama of the confluence of two rivers – Chulyshman and Chulcha.
- Since 1960, stone mushrooms have been declared a natural monument of the Altai Republic, and since 1980 they have acquired the status of a nature reserve.
- To get to the two large “mushrooms”, where excursions are usually organized, you need to cross to the other side and climb the trail that goes along a steep slope to a height of about 120 meters. The entire excursion can take an hour and a half, depending on the time spent on acquaintance with mushrooms and photography.
- Chulyshman valley : The Chulyshman river valley and the whole area where the river flows into the famous Teletskoye Lake are very picturesque.
Activities : sightseeing / photo opportunities / trekking / Excursion tours to stone mushrooms / admire a magnificent view of the Chulyshman river valley.