Krems is a city on the Danube in Lower Austria, and is located about 70 km west of Vienna at the eastern exit of the Wachau.
The city can look back on more than a thousand years of history. Thus, there are signs of a Germanic and Slavic settlement from pre-Roman times. The first written mention as Urbs Cremisia dates to the year 995 AD From the year 1000, increasingly settled merchants and merchants, so that the city became increasingly important.
Its location on the Danube trade route made it one of the most important medieval trading centers on the Danube. In particular, the salt trade flourished. In 1305 Krems-Stein is granted city rights. The still valid city coat of arms is on April 1, 1463 by Emperor Frederick III. awarded. It shows the red-headed golden double-headed eagle with the imperial crown hovering above the heads on a black background.
Access : Coordinates: 48.416667, 15.616667 / By car : From Vienna (West) and Salzburg via the A 1 to Knoten St. Polten and continue on the S 33. From Vienna (South / East) and Graz, as well as from Budapest and Bratislava via the A 21 and A1 to Knoten St. Polten and then via the S 33. From Vienna (north / east) as well as from Prague and Brno via the A22 to Knoten Stockerau and then via the S5. Coming from the Waldviertel is the 50 km long road from Zwettl (B 38, then B 37) almost continuously as a freeway /
By train : From Vienna by express and regional trains as well as the S-Bahn, from St. Polten by express and regional trains (connections from the Westbahn).
/ By plane : Airfield Krems – Langenlois (LOAG) north of the city, 742 meters tarmac. The nearest international airport is in Vienna.
/ By boat : From mid-April through October Durnstein can be reached by boats which ply the route between Krems/Stein, Durnstein, Spitz, Emmersdorf, and Melk, / By bicycle -E-Bike Rental -Danube Cycle Route (Passau – Vienna).
Get around : By bus : In Krems there are four bus lines that run every half-hour from Monday to Saturday. They drive as round lines, all arrive at the same time at the 1 station and leave after a short waiting time again at the same time, so that the transfer from one line to another is guaranteed. Line 1: Station – Stein – Station Line 2: Station – Mitterau – Station Line 3: Station – Lerchenfeld – Station Line 4: Station – Turnerberg – Station / By bicycle : Road and mountainbikes for rent.
- Karikaturmuseum , Steiner Landstrasse 3a, Krems an der Donau 3500, Osterreich, open : 10:00 – 18:00 ,As the only museum of caricature, picture satire, comic and cartoon in Austria, the Cartoon Museum Krems attracts thousands of visitors to the Wachau every year. Built by Gustav Peichl – IRONIMUS, this museum is entirely dedicated to humor and satire
- Kunsthalle Krems , Franz-Zeller-Platz 3, Krems an der Donau 3500, Osterreich, open : 10:00 – 18:00 , Monographic and thematic exhibitions rediscover seemingly well-known masters and international artists / Venus of Willendorf , Willendorf | Willendorf in der Wachau, Krems an der Donau 3641, Osterreich , The Venus of Willendorf is one of the most famous female figures found .
- Pfarre Krems St. Veit – Dom der Wachau , Pfarrplatz 5, Krems an der Donau 3500, Osterreich , ne of the most beautiful churches in the Wachau / Piaristenkirche , Piaristengasse 1, Krems an der Donau 3500, Osterreich , The oldest church in Krems / Gozzoburg , Koernermarkt 14, Krems an der Donau 3500, Osterreich , open : 11:00 – 18:00 , If you are interested in medieval cultural assets, you should not miss the tour of the Gozzoburg. Best preserved frescoes in incredible color intensity can be admired. The other rooms of this medieval building Are also worth seeing.
- Dominikanerkirche , Kornermarkt 14, Krems an der Donau 3500, Osterreich , The Dominican Church is located in the middle of the city, parking is also there, and so you can also take a walk through the old town of Krems.
- Burgruine Rehberg (Rehberg Castle Ruins), Plankstrasse 4 3500 Krems an der Donau , The ruin is flanked by a late medieval two-storey round tower.open all year / Gottweig Abbey ,Gottweig 1, Krems an der Donau, Osterreich , The abbey has a very long history and has been the center of religious life in the entire region for centuries / Catholic parish church St. Nicholas , Steiner Landstrasse 5, Krems an der Donau 3500, Osterreich
- Steiner Tor, Obere Landstrasse. One of the old city gates , The gateway to the old townThe Steiner Tor is the beginning of the old town of Krems in the west. (The Vienna Gate in the east was the equivalent, both served as defenses ,through the Steinertor you get access to the pedestrian zone in the old town of Krems
Activities : Wachau apricot adventure trail , Very nice wallk psth, especially at spring time . There are many boards and the path is easy to walk. I recommend a stop at Winzerstuberl Essl and a Tiramisu at the campsite in Rossatz. / Leisure & Shopping / city tours / Night watchman tour through Krems
cycling , the Danube Cycle Path is one of the most scenic cycling routes in Europe / River cruise on Danube / Guided tours / Camping
Events : Festival Glatt & Verkehrt , takes place every summer in Krems. / Towards the end of August there is a juggling festival in Krems.
Go next : Wachau Valley / Kamp Valley / Langenlois