Loch Lomond is a lake 25 miles northwest of Glasgow, in Scotland – United Kingdom, in the administrative districts of Sterling, Argyll and Butte and West Dunbartonshire. Loch Lomond is Scotland’s largest lake with an area of approximately 71 km². It stretches 39 km north-south.
The lake is located in the southwest of the Grampian Mountains, in a tectonic valley deepened by a glacier. In the southern part of Loch Lomond crosses a tectonic fault, determining the geological boundary between mountainous and lowland Scotland. The average depth is about 37 m, the maximum is about 190 m. There are many islands in the southern part of the lake, the largest of which are Inchmarrin, also Inchfad and others. The runoff is carried out along the River Lieven, which flows into the Clyde in Dumbarton.
Lake Lomond has been part of the Lomond Lake and the Trossachs National Park since July 2002. On the east shore of the lake, the figure of Ben Lomond stands out, 974 meters high, which is the southernmost peak of the Munros massif.
Today, Loch Lomond considered the most beautiful lake in Scotland, the lake is widely known for the Lomond Lake golf club, which hosts international competitions. In 2005, readers of Britain’s Radio Times magazine voted Loch Lomond as the UK’s sixth most beautiful natural wonder, the best-placed in Scotland.
Loch Lomond is also the brand name of the Scotch whisky drunk by Captain Haddock in Herge’s comic book series The Adventures of Tintin. A non-fictional whisky by the same name is produced at the Loch Lomond distillery,Loch Lomond is dedicated to the eponymous song from the 2011 solo album of guitarist Steve Hackett “Beyond the Shrouded Horizon”. Also, composer J. Martin created a jazz piece called “Strolling at Loch Lomond”.
Access : Coordinates: 56.083333, -4.566667 / Loch Lomond is approx. from Glasgow 25 miles or Edinburgh 78 miles .The area can be reached by car, train – check ScotRail or Trainline for service, bus ( National Express ), or seaplane ( Loch Lomond Seaplanes ). Loch Lomond is easily accessible by both train and A82. Along the lake, two ways lead west and east for very different demands.
There are several small ferries across Loch Lomond, at least during the summer months. Moorings can be found in Rowardennan, Inversnaid, Ardleish, Ardlui, Inverbeg, Tarbet and Balmaha.
By tour : Small group tours to Loch Lomond from both Edinburgh and Glasgow.
- Loch Lomond National Nature Reserve : Loch Lomond National Nature Reserve is a nature reserve in the United Kingdom. It is located in the Argyll and Bute council area and the Scottish part of Scotland, in the northwestern part of the country, 600 km northwest of the capital London.
- Loch Lomond Shores & SEA LIFE Aquarium,Drumkinnon Tower Ben Lomond Way | Drumkinnon Tower, Balloch, Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park G83 8QL, Scotland, Deck for unrivalled views of Loch Lomond, or relax in our welcoming coffee shop. With fun talks, animal feeds, special events and our quiz trail, there’s plenty for everyone to enjoy at SEA LIFE Loch Lomond. We are open 7 days a week 10am-5pm.
- Maid of the Loch, PS Maid of the Loch is the last paddle-wheeled boat built in Britain. He operated on Loch Lomond until 2016. He is in restoration at the pier of Bolloch.
It has been registered as a UK Heritage Ship by the National Historic Ships UK since 1993 and the National Historic Fleet Register.
- West Loch Lomond Cycle Path : The West Loch Lomond Cycle Path is a cycle path that runs from Arrochar and Tarbet railway station, at the upper end of Loch Lomond in Scotland, to Balloch railway station, at the bottom of the loch. It was officially opened on 20 June 2006 by Tavish Scott.The path is about 28 km long and runs along the west bank of Loch Lomond, between the west bank of the loch and the busy A82 road.
- West Highland Way : the popular Scottish walking trail that runs 154 miles from Milngavie ,Glasgow to Fort William.
- The Islands , The Loch Lomond has, depending on the water level, up to 60 islands of different sizes. Some of the islands are only visible when the water level is low. Other sources speak of a total of 30 islands.
Three islands are inhabited : The Inchmurrin ( the largest fresh-water island in the British Isles ) , Inchtavannach and Inchfad.Some other islands are privately owned, the others are nature reserves.The island of Inchcailoch was declared a natural heritage in Scotland, but may be entered.
- Watersports : visitors enjoying activities including kayaking, Canadian canoeing, paddle boarding, wake boarding, water skiing and wake surfing.
- Queen Elizabeth Forest Park,Queen Elizabeth Forest Park is a 19,665-hectare forest park in the Scottish Highlands which extends from the eastern shores of Loch Lomond to the mountains of Strathyre. The forest park is one of six such parks in Scotland, and was established in 1953, the year of the coronation of Elizabeth II. It is owned and managed by Forestry and Land Scotland.
- Loch Lomond Bird of Prey Centre : Loch Lomond Shores, Balloch, Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park G83 8QL, Escocia,open : 10:00 – 17:00 , The birds are awesome and the staff is very helpful.
Tip : Camping is now restricted to designated areas , the national park authority introduced byelaws restricting the right to camp along the shoreline of Loch Lomond ,campers are required to purchase a permit to camp within these areas between March and October.
Events : Loch Lomond Youth Soccer Festival,The Festival takes place during the first week of August each year.
Activities : sightseeing : photo opportunities / Trekking , along the South West Coast Path / Guided tours / Cycling , in Loch Lomond Cycle Paths : West Loch Lomond cycle path ,The Banks of Loch Eck,Rob Roy Loop,Loch Ard Loop / Sightseeing Boat Cruise / Water Activities / Adventure Parks / Explore the Small Towns and Villages / Loch Lomond Shores,
Explore Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park /
Camping at Loch Lomond ,there is available pitches and RV spots here within the national park / Many of Scotland’s most popular hiking trails run through this area, including the long-distance trails West Highland Way, Rob Roy Way, and The Three Lochs Way. / climbing or bouldering / TreeZone Aerial Adventure Course / Boat Trips & Tours.
Go next : The Devil’s Pulpit ~ Finnich Glen / Balmaha or Balloch on the shores of Loch Lomond / Dumbarton , a Royal Burgh -town- in Clydeside, Scotland.