Alor Island is the largest island of the Alor archipelago located at the easternmost end of the Lesser Sunda Islands that extend through southern Indonesia.
The island is part of the Government District of Alor, which is made up of the entire Alor Archipelago. It belongs to the Indonesian province of East Nusa Tenggara. The capital of the governorate is Kalabahi, the only city on Alor.
Snorkeling and diving are popular in the Alor archipelago. Due to the intriguing and often very strong currents it is best to snorkel or dive with someone who knows the area well.May to July is considered the best time to visit Alor. However, these months are the high season or the peak of the highest visit to Alor. Homestays, hotels, and dive resorts are options to stay in Alor.
Access : Coordinates: -8.25, 124.75 / Alor is served by Alor Mali Airport (ARD). / Ferries run weekly from Kupang (West Timor) to Kalabahi. The journey takes 20 hours. Twice a week a ferry runs the route Larantuka (East Flores) – Lewoleba (Lembata) – Baranusa (Pantar) – Kalabahi in 20 hours. Once a week there is a ferry from Atapupu (West Timor) to Kalabahi in nine hours.
- The Alor Archipelago consists of 20 islands and 17 sub-districts. Of these, only 9 islands are inhabited.
- To the east of the island, across the Ombai Strait, are the islands of Wetar and Atauro, the latter belonging to East Timor. To the south, across the Alor Strait, is the western part of Timor. To the north is the Banda Sea. To the west is Pantar and the other islands of the Alor archipelago, and the rest of the Sunda Islands.
- The Alor Archipelago is home to some of Indonesia’s best snorkeling and diving. However, there are strong currents here, which make it advisable to only dive with local guides.
- Alor Island itself is inhabited by a number of sub-Flores ethnic groups who still preserve their traditional way of life. One of them still produces clothes from the bark known as Ka Clothes.
- This island also holds the oldest Quran (Islamic holy book) ever found in Indonesia and in Southeast Asia. The Quran which is estimated to be more than 800 years old is made of bark and uses natural materials for ink.
- Alor Island is also known as Pulau Seribu Moko. The Moko are small bronze drums that are believed to have originated in the Dong Son culture of Vietnam. However, it remains a mystery how this prehistoric Dong Son drum arrived in Alor.
- beach : Alor is blessed with sloping white sandy beaches, some with coarse-grained sand, for me who has no diving skills,swimming along the coast and snorkelling are quite attractive.
- In addition to natural beauty, there are several traditional villages and the Takpala Traditional Village is one of the villages that is quite famous.
- Top sights in Alor Island : On the southern coast of Alor Island in the Tron Bon Ley cave / Unique volcanic geological phenomena are found in the Village of Hot Water and waterfalls on the island of Medan, as well as the Tuti Adagae natural tourism park on Alor Island. / For mountain climbers who are crazy about challenges in pristine places, Mount Delaki Sirung on Pantar Island and Mount Koya-Koya on Alor Island,
/ the Thousand Moko Museum located in the main town of Kalabahi, on Alor Island. The museum also displays a collection of different Alor hand-woven garments called Kawate.
Go next : East of Alor are the islands of Wetar and East Timorese Atauro, to the south is Timor. / To the north, across the Flores Sea, lie the Tukangbesi Islands. To the west, beyond the Pantar Strait, lies the island of Pantar.