Breckenridge is a ski resort and town at the northern tip of the south central region of Colorado, in the Rocky Mountains of the United States of America . The town is located at the base of the Tenmile Range. It was founded in 1859, during the Colorado Gold Rush . The original population of the town is prospectors. The name is given in honor of John Breckinridge, US Vice President. In total, over 31 tons of gold were mined in the Breckenridge area during the 19th – 20th centuries. Currently, the mines do not work, some of them are open for tourists to visit.
The original Breckenridge Mine Settlement is considered by Aspen and Vail to be Colorado’s most popular ski and resort destination and is visited by short-term tourists, especially from Denver, on the winter weekends. The ski area with about 150 designated ski slopes often has powder snow (Champaign Powder) due to the weather. In the Breckenridge ski area, the highest ski lift in North America leads to the almost 4,000 m high Peak Eight.
During the summer months, Breckenridge attracts hikers, anglers and mountain bike enthusiasts. Destinations are above all the Blue River and the nearby Lake Dillon. Since 1981, a film festival takes place in Breckenridge annually. There is also a 27-hole golf course built by former professional golfer and today’s golf architect Jack Nicklaus.
Access : Coordinates: 39.499619, -106.043292 / By car : Breckenridge is located off Highway 9. / From Fairplay and areas South : taking HWY 9 north over Hoosier Pass to Breckenridge. From Vail and areas West : taking Interstate 70 east to exit 203. Continue south on HWY 9 to Breckenridge.From Denver and areas East : taking Interstate 70 west to exit 203. Continue south on HWY 9 to Breckenridge.
By air : International and Domestic flights arrive at Denver International Airport (DEN) 104 miles (166 km) to the east.
- Main Street : Historic district , Downtown Breckenridge is one of the largest historic districts in Colorado. The 12-block area has about 250 buildings on the National Register of Historic Places, ranging from log cabins to Victorian houses.
- The Breckenridge Firehouse Museum features original firefighting equipment, including fire extinguishers, cars, ladders and uniforms.
- the Barney Ford House Museum (breckheritage.com), a restored Victorian house, built by a runaway slave.
- The mines : Breckenridge has three old mines that can be visited. Country Boy , one of the leading producers in the region when it was active, now offers its visitors the opportunity to search for gold and visit a restored blacksmith’s shop. The mine also offers hay rides and sleigh rides, depending on the season.
- Summer sports : Breckenridge and the surrounding areas in Summit County are also coveted destinations during summer and spring. The county has more than 40 miles of bike trails, including one that goes from Breckenridge to Copper Mountain and Vail. The White River National Forest in Summit County offers opportunities for hiking, hiking, boating and fishing. The Breckenridge Golf Club , designed by Jack Nicklaus, has 27 holes surrounded by a mountain landscape.
- winter sports : Breckenridge Ski Resort , which spans four mountains west of the city, is the third largest ski center in Colorado. With 146 tracks, the complex welcomes beginners, intermediate and advanced skiers and snowboarders. Breckenridge also has facilities for Nordic skiing and snowshoeing. Other ski resorts in the area are Copper Mountain , Keystone , Loveland and Arapahoe Basin.
- Boreas Pass Road : Boreas Pass is a high mountain pass in central Colorado, in the Rocky Mountains of the western United States.connecting Park and Summit counties. It links the historic village of Como to the thriving resort town of Breckenridge.
- Vail Pass bike Path : Vail Pass is the only Colorado mountain pass with a bike path the entire distance on both sides, Length: 8.7 miles (one way) ,Difficulty: Easy (paved) . Beginning Elevation: 8,772 feet , Elevation Gain: +1917 feet -86 feet = +1831 feet , Trail Use: Moderate to Heavy , Ending Elevation: 10,603 feet.
- McCullough Gulch : a moderate hike at over 11,000 feet with beautiful views of a roaring river, cascading waterfalls and peaceful lake, consider the McCullough Gulch trail outside of Breckenridge, CO.
- Sapphire Point Overlook : Scenic overlook with short trail. / Hoosier Pass : The pass is located on the Continental Divide at the northern end of the Mosquito Range, in a gap between Mount Lincoln (west) and Hoosier Ridge (east). It sits on the boundary between Park (south) and Summit (north) counties.
- Mohawk Lake Trail : Spruce Creek Trail to Mohawk Lakes Trail is a busy round-trip trail located near Breckenridge, Colorado, which has a lake and is considered difficult.
- Blue Lakes : Hiway 9 South of Breck to Blue Lakes Road, Breckenridge, CO 80424 , Blue Lakes Trail is a trail located near Ridgway,The trail is mainly used for hiking, fly fishing, horses and snowshoes, and is best used from June to November. you can drive up to the Blue Lakes , amazing Pretty pair of lakes , separated by a waterfall.
- High Line Railroad Park , 189 Boreas Pass Road, Breckenridge, CO 80424 , Stop in the park’s free museum (open June-September) to see historic railroad photographs and exhibits. Outside, the park includes Engine No. 9, one of the original locomotives that served Breckenridge in the late 1800s, as well as a boxcar display.
- Spruce Creek Trail , Spruce Creek Loop is a busy path located near Breckenridge / Sawmill Reservoir , an easy, short hike through the woods. / Blue River Bikeway , ride up from Frisco to Breckenridge and rode back. / Barney Ford Victorian House, The Barney Ford House Museum is a must-stop on your visit to Breckenridge
- Burro Trail , Donkey Trail is a moderately traveled path back and forth located near Breckenridge. / Mountain Top Children’s Museum / Peaks Trail , a great hike or mountain biking trail that runs from Breckenridge to Frisco. / Sawmill Creek Trail , Sawmill Reservoir is a moderately traveled circular trail located near Breckenridge, Colorado
- Black Powder Trail , Black Powder Trail is a 1.5 mile trail with moderate traffic located near Bellvue, Colorado, which has a river and is classified as moderate / Wellington Trail , Wellington Trail [CLOSED] is a moderately traveled trail, located near Breckenridge, Colorado, which has a river and is good for all skill levels.
- Washington Gold & Silver Mine , one of the area’s largest gold and silver mines in the mid 1880s. Learn about the hard rock mining era / Bakers Tank , This water tank, originally serving steam engines on the Colorado and Southern narrow gauge railroad between Como and Leadville,Scenic drive and hiking trail.
- Breckenridge Alpine Garden / Monte Cristo Gulch / French Gulch / Continental Falls Trail / Lower Crystal Lake / Mountain Pride Trail / Gold Hill to Peaks Trail / Frisco Scenic Overlook / Crystal Peak / Summit Ski Museum / Breckenridge Nordic Center / Epic Discovery at Breck / Breckenridge Welcome Center / Riverwalk Center / Carter Park / Peak 9 / Historic Father Dyer Church. Established in 1880.
tip : An Epic 7 pass will give you access to the best slopes of the season. Exhauste your exploration of the four tops of Breckenridge and head to nearby centers such as Vail, Keystone, Arapahoe Basin or Beaver Creek, all with the same pass.
Events : Snow Sculpture Championships are held in Breckenridge Every January , sculptors from around the world compete to create works of art from twenty ton blocks of snow. / Beer Fest party ,the coolest street parties in the state, conveniently located on spring break every year /
Activities : nightlife, and shopping / mountain biking and road biking / sightseeing / photo opportunities / trekking / fly fishing. / Explore history, arts and culture in Breckenridge
/ -Take a ride on a snowmobile through the Rocky Mountains with an experienced guide / Go skiing / Enjoy exciting adventures, such as the Gold Runner Coaster and Alpine Slides (a 2,600-foot-long route)
/ Ice skating is an activity that could not be missed in Colorado / Boreas Pass Scenic Drive
Go next : Breckenridge Ski Resort. / communities of Montrose, Palisade, Paonia, Hotchkiss, as well as the city of Grand Junction. / Colorado’s Wine Country