Hikkaduwa is a small resort town on the west coast of Sri Lanka, about 100 kilometers south of Colombo.
The beach area of Hikkaduwa stretches along the coast for almost 10 kilometers, and its most saturated part is concentrated within about five kilometers.
The Hikkaduwa Beach is generally good and very long. Almost throughout the entire length of the resort, it is wide enough,equipment rental are everywhere on the beach. As for diving and snorkeling.
The entire infrastructure is located along a fairly busy road , which is separated from the beaches by dense buildings of hotels, restaurants and houses. There is also cafes, travel agencies, etc.This resort, friendly and calm, is considered the center of tourism in Sri Lanka.
Access : Coordinates: 6.147222, 80.110278 / Hikkaduwa is located on the west coast, 100 kilometers south of Colombo. There is no airport near the city, and therefore people get here through Colombo airport, from where they get to Hikkaduwa by taxi, bus or train.
/ From Colombo, Galle and the cities of the West Coast, to Hikkaduwa, the most convenient and spectacular way to get there is by train that goes along the coast.
/ Transport in Hikkaduwa : The city is small, it is convenient to walk around it. The neighboring towns can be reached by bus, train, taxi or tuk-tuk.
- Diving and snorkeling, according to some estimates, this is one of the best places in Sri Lanka for diving, and almost the dive capital of the country.Not far from the beach lie the remains of several wrecks, including the British sunken “Earl of Shaftsbury” and the SS Conch tanker.
- snorkeling : Hikkaduwa has a gorgeous 10 km beach and a large coral reef, the beauty of which can be observed while snorkeling.
- Best time : The best time for water sports in Hikkaduwa is from December to March, the rest of the year there are very large waves and strong currents.
- Turtles in Hikkaduwa : Hikkaduwa Beach is a place where you can see huge turtles in the water near the beach itself.
- The northern beach is called Hikkaduwa Beach and stretches along a large coral reef. It is here, in the northern part, that the Hikka Tranz hotel is located, in the water next to which you can often see large turtles. The southern part is Narigama Beach, about twice the size of the northern beach.
- Here is the Hikkaduwa Coral Reef National Park, on the territory of which there are about 70 species of coral. .There are turtle breeding farms in the vicinity of the resort.The reef stretches along the coast and is a spectacular sight, rich in corals of the most unimaginable shapes and colors.
Activities : sightseeing / photo opportunities / Surfing / swimming / diving and snorkeling.
Go next : Koggala is interesting for its lake, which stretches along the beach for many kilometers./ the Temple of the Sacred Tooth of Buddha in Kandy.