Ram Fortress

0
51
Аутор: Milica Buha - Сопствено дело, CC BY-SA 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=102837600
Аутор: Milica Buha - Сопствено дело, CC BY-SA 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=102837600
Ram is a medieval fortress on the right bank of the Danube in the village of the same name, 25 km from Pozarevac and 15 km from Veliki Gradiste and a little more than 100 km from Belgrade, Sebia. It is located on a rock that slopes towards the Danube from the northeast side.

The oldest source dates back to 1128, when Byzantium was defeated by Hungary near it. The fortress was later occupied by the Ottomans. It is located on a hill, along which the Danube River passes. It is not known when the fortress was built, but it is known that it is one of the oldest in this area.
The fortress has the shape of an irregular pentagon, with a maximum length of 34 meters and a width of 26 meters. The complex has five towers, which are located on four levels. It is entered through the Dongjon Tower, on the southwest side. The fortress is surrounded by low walls and the remains are in good condition.
The site of the Ram Fortress covers an area of ​​about 850 m2. It is an interesting tourist destination, especially since there are other popular sites nearby, such as Smederevo Fortress, Golubac Fortress.

Access : Coordinates: 44.812845, 21.330298 / Ram Fortress is located 30 km northeast of Požarevac, on the right bank of the Danube.

Highlights :

  • Ram Fortress is included in the list of cultural monuments of great importance of the Republic of Serbia.
  • Written sources mention Ram as a place of conflict between Byzantium and Hungary only in the 12th century. The oldest record dates from 1128, when the Byzantines defeated the Hungarians near it. After the Turks conquered thees lands, they turned to the Kingdom of Hungary and the conquest of the Pannonian Plain. In order to protect the right bank of the Danube, the Turkish Sultan Bayezid II (1480-1512) rebuilt and strengthened the existing fortress for the purpose of fighting with firearms. The fort gradually lost its importance after the victory of the Turks at the Battle of Mohács in 1526 the border was then moved to Buda and Vienna.
  • In the center of the fortress are the ruins of a mosque and nearby are those of a caravanserai and a hammam.
  • The Danube cycling route also passes through Ram, and every year tens of thousands of tourist cyclists visit Ram.
  • A special attraction is the regular line ferry crossing Ram – Banatska Palanka. The ferry can be used to reach Deliblato Sands from Rama.
  • Legends :  One legend says that the sultan lived on the fortress, who had his harem on Ada Chibuklija, where the most beautiful girls of this region were brought. He often went to the island on “Chibuk” with Pasha and prominent military leaders (Turkism – smoking, smoking tobacco). The famous hajduk Milenko Stojković, a native of the nearby village of Kličevac, invaded Čibuklija one night and released all the girls, who after the liberation joined Milenko’s hajduk detachment and became the most beautiful but murderous hajduk troupe in this part of the Danube.

Go next : Golubac fortress / On the other (left) bank of the Danube opposite Ram rises another fortress – Haram.

NO COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

error: Content is protected !!