Wave Rock is a natural rock formation made up of ocher granite. Generated by strong erosion, it is found in Australia. Its name derives from its shape, which is reminiscent of a large breaking wave.
The wave rock is a granite rocky outcrop, the rock received its unusual wave-like shape due to deep (underground) chemical processes, which were accompanied by the washing out of soft granite by underground waters. Thus, the inclination of the entire boulder occurred underground even before the rock was pushed to the surface. Under the influence of erosion, washing out and weathering mineral deposits (carbonates and iron hydroxides) from the rock, the rock acquired an unusual striped color, its entire surface is “painted” with vertical stripes of gray, red and yellow.
The Wave Rock is 15 meters high and 110 meters wide, and is 2,700 million years old.
The formation is one of Australia’s most popular natural attractions and is located near Hyden about 350 km east of Perth.
Access : Coordinates:-32.443889, 118.898056 / Wave Rock is located in Western Australia, 3 kilometers east of Hayden and 340 kilometers southeast of Perth.
- A natural wild park Wave Rock Wildlife Park is formed around the rock, the area of which is 3 hectares.
- This rock is immensely popular among cyclists / Hippo’s Yawn ,Rock of the Yawning Hippo. This rock really resembles a yawning hippo, which is why it was named that way. Its height is 12.6 meters.
- Opening Hours: Wave Rock Visitor Center – daily from 09:00 to 17:00
- Wave Rock has cultural importance to the Ballardong people. Local tribes say that Wave Rock is a rainbow serpent’s creation, and after she has consumed all the water in the land, her swollen body is dragged onto the land into the trail
- Wave Rock Weekender is also held here : an annual music and film festival.
- The Wave Rock site was used for an episode of Japan’s Next Top Model in 2008.
- Wave Rock is not only a tourist attraction, but also a way to regulate water supplies. A one-foot-high concrete wall sits at the top of Hayden Rock, directing rainwater and allowing it to accumulate in a special storage dam.
Go next : the small town of Hyden in Western Australia. / Mulka’s cave.