Martinitoren ( St. Martin’s Tower) is the largest church tower ,The Martinikerk – St. Martin’s church is the oldest church in the city of Groningen, in the Netherlands.
In 1468 the old church tower of the Martinikerk collapsed. In the process the nave was damaged. During the reconstruction the nave was widened to the west. As a result, the new tower was built in a new place it was created between 1469 and 1482.
In 1937 the tower was completely restored. Two houses built on its west side, including the registry office, were demolished. In August 1939, in view of the expected war, an aerial observation post was set up in the tower in order to be able to detect possible air attacks on the city at an early stage.
Martinitoren is considered one of the biggest tourist attractions in the city and offers a good view of Groningen and its surroundings.
Access : Coordinates: 53.21921, 6.568 / It is located in the northwest corridor of the Grote Markt (Main Square)
- Both the church and the tower were named after Martinho de Tours (316 – 397), patron saint of the archbishopric of Utrecht, to which Groningen belongs.
- The carillon was cast in 1662/1663 by the famous bell-founding brothers Pieter and François Hemony,It originally consisted of 32 bells with a range of three octaves.Today the carillon comprises four octaves and 49 bells, of which thirty are still by the Hemony brothers.
- Entrance fees: 3€ ($4.80) adults, 2€ ($3.20) children 4-11, children 3 and under free. Church: Free admission.
- opening hours :Apr-Oct daily 11am-5pm Nov-Mar daily noon-4pm. Church: Open irregularly.
Go next : Reitdiep colourful houses / Hoge and Lage der A streets / Martinikerkhof / The Herestraat, the city’s longest pedestrianised shopping street.