Aldabra is a coral atoll located in the so-called Outer Islands, in the Indian Ocean ,Administratively the atoll is part of the the Seychelles.
Inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List in 1982, the atoll constitutes a strict nature reserve, a Ramsar site and an important area for bird conservation.
It is possible to take day trips from passing cruise ships. In addition, a few Seychelles specialist operators offer cabin and full charters from the main island of Seychelles, Mahé, to Aldabra.
Access : Coordinates: -9.416667, 46.35 /
- Outer Islands refer to the atolls, upscale atolls and islands of the Republic of Seychelles located outside the Seychelles Bank, The Aldabra Group are part of the Outer Islands.
- Aldabra Atoll.It is the largest atoll in the Indian Ocean and the second largest in the world ,The atoll consists of the following main islands : Grand Terre, , Malabar, Picard, Polymni and 18 smaller ones.
- The atoll is known for its green turtles, hawksbill turtles and birds, including Cuvier’s rail, the last of the Indian Ocean’s flightless birds. Among the seabirds that breed on Aldabra are the most beautiful species of the tropics.
- The island is home to a unique population – more than 152 thousand- of giant land tortoises : Seychelles giant tortoise.
- All visitors must request a visit authorization from the Seychelles Islands Foundation and must be accompanied throughout their stay by a nature reserve ranger who ensures strict compliance with the rules aimed at protecting the ecosystems of Aldabra.
- Certain activities are subject to payment of a daily tax per person, such as landing on the islands or filming films and taking photographs for professional purposes.
Go next : The Aldabra group of islands : Asuncion Island , Cosmoledo Atoll , Astove Island.