Shymbulak Mountain Resort is a winter sports resort in Almaty, Kazakhstan in the Trans-Ili Alatau Mountains.
Shymbulak Ski Resort was built in 1954 and has since been expanded several times , located at an altitude of 2,260 meters, the resort has a set of three chairlifts allowing you to reach the Talgar pass at 3,163 meters. Shymbulak Ski Resort served as the venue for snowboarding, alpine and freestyle skiing at the 2011 Asian Winter Games and the 2017 Winter Universiade. It has also been nominated as a competition venue when Almaty applied for the Winter Olympics in 2014 and 2022. In 2019 and 2020, the freestyle skiing world cup downhill competitions were organized there.
The Chimbulak ski resort is famous not only in Kazakhstan , many tourists come to the slopes of the Trans-Ili Alatau from the vast expanses of the CIS. The chairlifts operate both in winter and summer. In Shymbulak, tourists can enjoy several cafes and a 4-story hotel, vacationers also have access to a children’s lift for balloon riding and a snow park for snowboard lovers.
Access : Coordinates: 43.128056, 77.080833 /
- Shymbulak is adjacent to the world famous high-mountain skating rink Medeo.
- The ski slopes are served by two double chairlifts, a single chairlift and a rope tow, as well as a free towing lift. Since 2003, a 4-seater road came into operation, opening a new region for fans of extreme skiing.
- In February 2017, competitions of the 28th World Winter Universiade in alpine skiing, freestyle and snowboarding were held in Shymbulak.
- In 2021, competitions were held in moguls, parallel moguls, acrobatic jumps and team acrobatics as part of the Freestyle and Snowboard World Championships.
- Alpine ski resort Shymbulak of Kazakhstan is considered one of the highest mountainous cities in the world.
- The length of the downhill, starting in the Talgar Pass, is 3500 meters. The length of the slalom slope is 1500 m.
- cable cars, operating even in summer, allow everyone to take an excursion to the Talgar Pass (3163 m), from where a stunning panorama of the southern capital opens.