The Gediminas Tower is a watchtower located on the hill of the same name, overlooking the city of Vilnius, capital of Lithuania.
The first known fortifications there were built in the forest by Gediminas, Grand Duke of Lithuania. The first castle built of brick was completed in 1409, at the time of Grand Duke Vytautas. Some remains of this building are preserved and have recently been restored.
The tower offers an excellent view of the city of Vilnius. Since 1960, the tower has housed a branch of the Lithuanian National Museum with an exhibition dedicated to the history of the city.
The tower is considered a symbol of the city and the country , it is mentioned in numerous poems and songs. The Gediminas Tower can be reached via a steep path that runs up the hill. Since 2003, a funicular has also been going up the hill.
Access : Coordinates: 54.6867, 25.2907 /
Go next : The Hill of Three Crosses , a monument in Vilnius / Pilies Street , one of the main streets in the Old Town of Vilnius / Cathedral Square, Vilnius.