Kõpu Lighthouse or Dagerort Lighthouse is a lighthouse on the island of Hiiumaa in Estonia.
The construction of the lighthouse was requested as early as 1490 by representatives of the Hanseatic League, whose aim was to reduce the number of ship losses on the Hiiu sandbank and to keep ships away from the coast, where they were at risk from pirates.Construction began in 1505 and lasted with interruptions for 26 years. The lighthouse was put into operation in 1531. In 1659 the lighthouse was expanded to its current height.
The Kõpu Peninsula lighthouse was built on Hiiumaa’s highest point, Tornimägi, at 67 meters. It itself is 36 m high, the beacon shines at 102.6 m above sea level, making it one of the highest in the Baltic Sea.
It is the third oldest lighthouse in the world that is still in operation today.The Kõpu lighthouse is now open to the public and, in addition to its function as a navigation aid, also serves as a lookout tower over the Kõpu peninsula.
Access : Coordinates: 58.915967, 22.199683 /
- Kõpu lighthouse is one of the most famous attractions of Hiiumaa, even the symbol of this Estonian island, It is included in the register of national monuments of Estonia on July 20, 2004.