One of Northern Ireland’s most popular tourist attractions is Mussenden Temple which, in fact, is not a religious building at all. The pavilion was built in 1783-1785 for the owner of the Downhill estate, Frederick Hervey, Bishop of Derry, 4th Earl of Bristol. It received its name in memory of the bishop’s niece, Frideswide Mussenden. The pavilion was supposed to be a gift in honor of her wedding, but Fridesvida died at the age of 22, before construction was completed.
Since the 1940s, Mussenden Temple has been owned by the National Trust. The estate and pavilion are open to the public.
Access : Coordinates: 55.167789, -6.810845 /
Go next : Downhill House / Downhill Strand ,at more than eleven kilometers long, the beach is one of the longest in Northern Ireland.