Princess Caroline’s Battery is a an artillery battery located in Gibraltar, a British overseas territory. Also known as Princess Caroline Observatory, the battery is Part of Fortifications of Gibraltar.
The Princess Caroline’s turret was built in 1732 and named after Princess Caroline, the daughter of George II. It was refurbished in 1905 and a 6-inch Mark VII gun was placed directly above the ammunition depot. Later the battery was abolished and the cannon was removed. The underground ammunition depot is a Military Heritage Center that includes a memorial room.
In addition to the relics of the era when it was a battery, there is a memorial room here. These relics are weapons, ammunition, and other items from the 18th century to the present.
Princess Caroline’s turret is registered with the Gibraltar Heritage Trust. It is under the control of the Gibraltar Tourist Board.
Access : Coordinates: 36.144802, -5.347934 / Princess Caroline’s turret is located in Gibraltar, a British overseas territory at the southern tip of the Iberian Peninsula.
- The Military Heritage Center of Princess Caroline’s turret is a small underground exhibition facility.which includes the Memorial Chamber,There is also a monument to commemorate the British regiment.
- This battery is located at the northern end of the Upper Rock Nature Reserve, with Moorish Castle below and Princess Ann Battery above.
- This battery was used in the siege of Gibraltar,In 1871, a 9-inch rifling muzzle-loading gun and an Ellswick Ordonance Company mount / platform were installed. In 1905, the turret was refurbished and a 6-inch Mark VII gun was installed directly above the ammunition depot.
Go next : The nearby Princess Ann battery ,in Willis’s Plateau at the northern end of the Upper Rock Nature Reserve / O’Hara’s Battery.