The Arriluze lighthouse is located in Getxo, a town on the coast of the historical territory and province of Biscay, in the Basque Country, Spain.
The Arriluze Lighthouse is located at Punta de Begoña next to the port and shares the same building with the Former Shipwreck Rescue Station located in the port of Arriluze. Two-storey building built in 1920, with a rectangular floor plan and a three-sided roof. The construction stands on a huge open plinth, with thick ashlar pillars, covered by semicircular arches, to save the unevenness of the dock. In the southeast corner is the lighthouse tower, the lantern of the lighthouse was illuminated for the first time in the year 1939.
The house, also called the rescue station, was used to help shipwrecked people and was the fishermen’s brotherhood. Today, it houses the headquarters of the Red Cross of the Sea and the Rowing Club.
Access : Coordinates: 43°20’22″N 3°0’48″W / The Arriluze lighthouse located at the mouth of the Nervión in the port of Getxo.
- Arriluze lighthouse is ideal for walking with good views. From it you can see La Galea, Algorta, the old port, Ereaga Beach, Neguri, Las Arenas, Portugalete, Santurtzi, Mount Serantes, and also the arrival of cruise ships.
- Shipwrecked House Documented in 1920, it is a work by Ignacio Smith. It imitates the characteristics of a large two-story farmhouse. In one corner, emerging from the sea in large arcades, stands a lighthouse tower with a circular section. It is the headquarters of the Public Society “Puerto Deportivo El Abra – Getxo Kirol Portua”
Go next : La Galea Fort, in Santa María de Guecho. An interesting example of an 18th-century fortification / Ereaga beach is 150 m from the lighthouse.