Cape Villano lighthouse marks one of the most dangerous stretches of the Costa de la Muerte ( coast of Death ) – province of La Coruna, Galicia, Spain– , but also one of the most beautiful. Erected at an altitude of 125 m and joined to the old lighthouse building, it has a powerful light cannon, capable of reaching 55 km. It is the oldest electric lighthouse in Spain. The enclave was declared of National Interest in the year 1933 for being a rocky and steep place and nowadays it is a natural monument.
In 1890, the English ship HMS Serpent, sailing to Sierra Leone, sank near here because of a storm. 172 men perished, who are buried in the English Cemetery, a short distance from the lighthouse.
Currently in the lighthouse building you can enjoy a free visit to the Interpretation Center of shipwrecks, lighthouses and maritime signs of the Costa de la Muerte, an exhibition hall and a small souvenir shop, a cafe-bar and a point of tourist information available to all visitors.
This is one of the most characteristic lighthouses of the Costa da Morte. The natural enclave in which it sits is spectacular. In fact, Cabo Vilan was declared a National Site of National Interest in 1933.
Access : Coordinates: 43? 09′ 37.2″ N – 9? 12′ 40.9″ W / To get to the end you have to go from La Coruna to Vimianzo on the A-1 and take the AC-432 to Camarinas. There is a road from the port of Camarinas to the lighthouse. Another coastal route, from Arou and Camelle, runs along a dirt track through one of the wildest and most beautiful spots on the Galician coast, where it is not unusual to find the remains of a wreck.
LightHouse Specifications :Year first lit , Year of built : 1896, Height of the tower, m:25 , Focal height 104 meters , Light: 2 white flashes every 15 seconds , Current status :Active
Services : small souvenir shop / exhibition hall / tourist information spot / cafe-bar
Activities : sightseeing / photo opportunities / enjoy sunset
Go next : / Cliffs of Cabo Vilan / Camarinas / Costa da Morte, A Coruna / Explore the Lighthouses on the Cantabrian Sea / Pontevedra / Cíes Islands