The Plaza de la Romanilla, also known as Plaza de las Palmeras,is an urban space – a busy square that is located in the historical center of the city of Granada , a city, capital of the province of Granada, in the autonomous community of Andalusia, Spain.
At the beginning of the 17th century, most of this area was owned by the Genoese merchant Rolando de Levanto. In 1636 the Convent of the Capuchin Sisters was built in this place, which survived until 1837. At the end of the 19th century, a construction market was built in “La Plaza de la Libertad”, coexisting with the San Agustín market, a few meters away. In 1973 the Romanilla market was demolished.
This place was built with cobblestones, urbanized and designated as a public square as a vegetable market. It is densely planted with palm trees and greenery, creating a small park in the center.
Currently in this space is a popular tourist destination with various restaurants , bars and boutiques.
Access : Coordinates: 37°10’35″N 3°36’2″W / Romanilla Square is located in the historical and traditional center of the city of Granada.
- The square is landscaped with two bands of trees, one on each of the two major sides, where palm trees predominate, creating a pleasant central promenade.
- Currently in this space there is a contemporary building that houses the Federico García Lorca Foundation and the monument to the water carrier.
Go next : The main street “Gran Via” / the covered market “Mercado San Agustín” / Granada Cathedral is located in the center of the city, in the Plaza de las Pasiegas, next to the Royal Chapel.