The Doria Castle is an ancient fortresses in the the village of Portovenere, ( Porto Venere is a village on the Ligurian coast of northwestern Italy. Since 1997, Porto Venere, together with Cinque Terre and the nearby islands of Palmaria, Tino and Tinetto, has been a UNESCO World Heritage Site ) overlooking the Poets’ Gulf.
The castle underwent several transformations. The original feudal system, defended at the end of the thirteenth century by the circular tower, was enlarged and included in the fourteenth century in a broader wall. At the end of the Renaissance period the castrum became a grandiose
fortified noble residence, with imposing defensive apparatuses. After resisting numerous sieges, he could not however oppose the heavy Franco-Hispanic artillery,
which partially destroyed it on 27 July 1744 during an episode of the Austrian succession war. No longer inhabited by the family of the Marquis Doria, who moved to the sixteenth century building adjacent to the parish church, suffered the latest outrages from the 1887 earthquake.
The opening hours for the Castle are as follows : 10:30am to 1:30 pm and 2:30pm to 6:30pm / There is an entrace fee as well : € 2.20 for adult , For further information: tel: 0187 793 042 and email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Access : Coordinates : 44.133333, 9.683333 / Location : Castello dei Doria / 19025, Porto Venere, Italy
Go next :