Ystad is a small charming port city in Scania or Skåne County, part of southern Sweden.
Ystad is one of the oldest cities in Skåne, its history going back to the 12th-13th century, when the region was Danish. The city prospered thanks to the herring trade, especially with Germany and the Hanseatic League, and soon had a Franciscan church and cloister. Subsequently, despite the decline in herring stocks and some regional conflicts, the city maintained its dominant position on trade between Denmark and the mainland, mainly through the export of agricultural surpluses and beef.
The passage of the city, with the whole region, under the control of Sweden did not affect this position. However, in the nineteenth century, the city failed to follow the developments and industrialization that the country was undergoing, and therefore suffered a relative decline, losing its predominant position. Nowadays, Ystad is no more than a small town, but its historical heritage is still visible in its old streets and its many half-timbered houses that make the city a first-class tourist attraction in Skåne. This, as well as a nascent film industry, represent growing sectors of the city’s economy, still dominated by trade and transport. Ystad also inspired the writer Henning Mankell, who set the scene for his detective series.
Access : Coordinates: 55.416667, 13.833333 / By train :
It leads from Malmo Central (Pagatag) to Ystad. There are also direct trains from Copenhagen, which are aimed at the travelers to Bornholm, who change here to the Bornholm ferry. With these trains, the city is also accessible from Copenhagen Kastrup Airport, without having to go to the city center of Copenhagen. There is also a railway line from Simrishamn via Tomelilla to Ystad.
From Stockholm you can take the X 2000 high-speed train in 5 hours to Malmo, from where the regional train continues to Ystad./
By car :
From Malmo you simply follow the E65 to Ystad. From the north you can either take the main road 19 here. She also ends up in Ystad.
In addition to the Bornholm ferry (1.5 hours or 2.5 hours), ferries from Poland also dock in Poland from Swinoujscie (Swinoujscie) (7 hours).
The nearest airport is Sturup (IATA Code: MMX), but there are only a few destinations. Of more cities, however, the airport of Copenhagen (Kastrup) can be approached. From the airport you can get to Malmo by train without having to go through the city, there are also connections directly to Ystad. These trains are then transferred to the ferry and shipped to Ronne on Bornholm.
- Ystad Animal Park , Gamla Lundavagen 514 | Skarby, Ystad, Open : 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM , you can meet large exotic animals from around the world and many different native breeds, as well as monkeys, lemurs, meerkats and more..
- Ales Stenar , Kaseberga, Ystad, The Stonehenge of Sweden , Perfect place for weekend day trip. Nature, heritage,
- Saint Mary’s Church , Stortorget, Ystad, A church from the 13th century, one of Skanes oldest brick churches and the oldest building in Ystad
- The Abbey in Ystad , St Petri Kyrkoplan, Ystad 271 80, Open : 12:00 PM – 5:00 PM , The Abbey in Ystad was founded in 1267 by Franciscan munks called Grey Friars. It is the best kept Abbey in Sweden together with Vadstena Abbey
- Ystads Konstmuseum – Ystad Art Museum , St Knuts Torg, Ystad 271 80, Open : 12:00 PM – 5:00 PM , series of paintings,Artists from Ystad , permanent and outdoor exhibitions and There is also a large collection of Artists’ Books from the 1940s onwards.
- Ystads Teater – theater in central Ystad-, 13 Sjoemansgatan | Sjomansgatan 13, Ystad 271 43, The theater building was built in the New Renaissance in 1893–1894 after drawings by urban architect Peter Boisen. The theater is part of the Nordic section of European Road Historic Theaters.
- Marsvinsholms Slott , Marsvinsholm, Ystad, Marsvinsholm Castle , he castle is located 12 km from Ystad city center, south of the E65 and north of the railway towards Malmo, in Skane.
- Skaneleden SL 4 / Osterlenleden , Ostra Kustvagen 1, Ystad, stunning hiking trail , Skaneleden Trail Osterlen takes you on a hiking tour around the southeast of Skane
- Per Helsas Gard , Ystad 271 42, Per Helsas Gard is one of the oldest half-timbered houses in Sweden.
- Disa Ting Stone Circle , Vastra Kustvagen 357, Ystad 271 92, Prehistorical stone circle in Svarte , Disas Ting is a rectangular stone setting in the village of Svarte, about 8 kilometers west of Ystad
- Ystads MilitarHistoriska Museum , Nils Ahlins gata 19, Ystad 271 39, Ystad’s Military History Museum , The museum OPEN for the season, Sunday June 23, at 13.00.
- Ystad upper lighthouse , Ystad’s upper lighthouse, was built in 1866. Ystad’s harbor , The lighthouse itself was designed by engineer, Albert Theodor Gellerstedt. The lighthouse was built in the middle of the 19th century and was used until 1975..
Activities : sightseeing / photo opportunities / walking or cycling / Archipelago tours / sport fishing / Bathing / Birdwatching / Minigolf / GoKart / Boat Tours & Water Sports /
4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours / 4×4 weekend adventures