Maria Wörth is a village in the district of Klagenfurt-Land in Carinthia in Austria.
The church that gave it its name was mentioned in a document as “Maria Werd” as early as the 9th century. The popular holiday and excursion resorts of Maria Wörth and Reifnitz are located on the southern shore of Lake Wörthersee.
In 1901, the composer Gustav Mahler built a villa near the hamlet of Maiernigg, on the lake in the east of the municipality, where he already used a Komponierhäuschen (small cabin dedicated to composition) in which most of his works written between 1900 and 1907 were composed, including his symphonies Nos. 5-8. The cabin is now open as a small museum.
Today the community is not only known for its high quality healthcare facilities but above all for the pilgrimage church on the rocky peninsula.
Access : Coordinates: 46.616667, 14.166667 / The town is located about 14 kilometers west of Klagenfurt, the capital of Carinthia.
- The community is divided into the two cadastral communities Maria Wörth and Reifnitz, Reifnitz is known beyond its borders for the GTI meeting, which has been attracting fans of the German cult car to Lake Wörthersee since 1982.
- There are numerous attractive hiking routes of varying difficulty levels around Maria Wörth, mostly with amazing panoramic views of Lake Wörth.
- The TV “Doctor from Wörthersee” is also at home here and was filmed here.
- The world-famous Vienna Boys’ Choir also spend their summer days here.
- Golf : The oldest golf club in Carinthia is located in Dellach, which offers wonderful views of Lake Wörth.
- Top sights in Maria Wörth : The parish and former collegiate church of Hll. Primus and Felician is located at the highest point of the peninsula. / The Villa Schwarzenfels in Maiernigg was built and lived in as a holiday villa by the Viennese architect Friedrich Theuer in 1893/94. The two-story villa in the late historical “old German” style is in a dominant location on a bastion-like terrace above the lake. / Villa Siegel is located in the Sekirn district on the southern shore of Lake Wörthersee. The striking building goes back to the composer Gustav Mahler, who spent his summer vacation there from 1900 to 1907. / Reifnitz Castle (“Klein Miramar”), built in 1898, is located on a headland on the northern edge of the Reifnitz Bay.
Go next : Pörtschach am Wörthersee is a municipality in the district of Klagenfurt-Land in Carinthia, Austria.