In 1345, a monastery dedicated to the Apostle Paul was founded on the island by monks of the Order of St. Augustine, and the island was called the Rock of the Apostle Paul for this reason. The Augustinians stayed in Visovac until 1445 when they ceded the monastery to Franciscan monks from Bossina. Two hundred years later the Turks attacked the monastery and hanged two elderly monks. The monastery was abandoned and burned but in 1700 it was partially rebuilt. Its complete restoration took place in the 20th century.
In the monastery there is a remarkable collection of books, manuscripts and works of art. Among other things there is a rare archetype of Aesop’s fables (Brescia 1487), printed by the printer from Lastovo, Dobrić Dobričević, a collection of decrees of the sultan and a sword belonging to the rebel Vuk Mandušić.
The island of Visovac is a popular tourist destination, with its monastery and museum attracting large numbers of visitors from all over the world every year.
Access : Coordinates: Access : Coordinates: 43.861111, 15.973333 / The island of Visovac is located upstream from Skradinski Buk, in the very middle of Visovac Lake.
- The island is reachable by boat from Stinice or boat from Remetic hamlets in the vicinity of Bristane village.
Go next : Go next : The island is located 10 minutes by car from Drnis, six kilometers from Skradin.