Cunda Island is an charming island in the southwestern part of the Edremit Gulf of the Aegean Sea, in western Turkey.
The island is part of an archipelago of 22 islands, all of which are uninhabited except Cunda Island, and have formed a national park since 1995.
Cunda Island is a charming Aegean resort , the islanders’ main sources of income are fishing, olive cultivation and tourism. There are frequent bus and ferry services between Cunda Island and Ayvalık. The island has been connected to the mainland since 1964 by a bridge over the island of Lale. This was the first and currently oldest existing bridge in Turkey, connecting land separated by a strait. Poroselen Bay in the north of the island is one of Cunda Island most important attractions.
Today Cunda Island is under protection due to its natural beauty and historical structures , There are many churches and monasteries dating back to the Greek Orthodox community before the population exchange ,There are many historical monuments on the island still waiting for for restoration.
Access : Coordinates: 39.360556, 26.642778 /
- On April 13, 2023, Cunda Island was registered and declared as a sensitive area to be protected as a result of the re-evaluation of the protection status of the natural protected area by presidential decision.
- The main landmark of Cunda Island is the Taxiarches Church ,a large formerly Greek Orthodox church that was built in 1873.
- The city of Ayvalik and the island are connected by a bridge over the island of Dolap.
- Poroselene Bay in the north of the island is probably the most beautiful view on the island.
- Top sights and Things to do in Cunda Island : Monastery of the Protecting Virgin Mary-Panagias / Chicken Island Monastery / Ayiu Ionnu Tu Podrome: Built on Chicken Island opposite Alibey Island / Prophet Elijah Monastery / Girls’ Monastery of Evangelistria / Hamidiye Mosque / Pigeon Island Monastery / Ayios Apostolos Monastery / Monastery of the Protecting Virgin Mary / Beaches : Cunda Island has several beaches , such as Ayazma Beach and Cunda Island Beach / A mill located in the location known as ‘Lovers Hill’ was completed in 2006 and opened to visitors. / Events takes place here such as the Cunda Island International Olive Festival, Cunda Island Jazz Festival, and the Cunda Island Film Festival.
Go next : Lale Island , an Aegean Island of Turkey. / Ayvalık Islands , a group of islands around Ayvalık district of Turkey / Ayvalık Islands Nature Park.