The Königssee is an alpine lake in the south-east of Bavaria ( Germany ) , in the Berchtesgaden region, not far from the municipality of Schonau am Konigssee , close to Salzburg – Austrian borders , it is located at the foot of the Watzmann range in the manner of a fjord, surrounded by high mountains of the Berchtesgaden.
Lake Königssee extends along a length of almost eight kilometres long, 1250 meters wide and reaches 200 meters deep.
The preservation of the beauty of the lake and its shore is at the responsibility of the Berchtesgaden National Park which encompasses a large part. Lake Konigssee is also known by the name of King’s Lake, as it was one of the favorite hunting grounds of the Bavarian kings.The Prince Regent Luitpold of Bavaria regularly organised hunting trips in his land on Lake Konigssee for almost 25 years.
For many,is one of the most beautiful places in Germany. Surrounded by high mountains and embraced by breathtaking scenery,since 1909 only electric passenger boats and water wheels have been allowed to travel to the lake. The lake is famous for its clear waters and is advertised as “the purest lake in Germany” an authentic natural gem in the Bavarian Alps.
The majestic landscape around inspired artists such as Schinkel, Rottmann and Stifter. From them it is impressive to see the eastern wall of the Watzmann mountain, which rises up to approximately 1,800 meters.
Access : Coordinates:47.55, 12.966667 / By car you reach Schonau Königssee from the north, west or east via the federal motorway A8 Munich-Salzburg, exit Bad Reichenhall, then the B20 to the Konigssee. From the south via the Tauernautobahn, exit Salzburg Sud, then the B305 to Berchtesgaden and the B20 to Konigssee. (Attention: toll on Austrian motorway)
/ by train :
From Berlin / main station by ICE via Berlin / Schonefeld, Berlin / Zoo, Leipzig to Munich and Berchtesgaden.From Northern Germany with the ICE from Hamburg / Altona, Bremen, Hanover, Gottingen, Kassel, Fulda, Wurzburg via Munich to Berchtesgaden.From Berchtesgaden railway station, take the RVO buses to Konigssee (lines 841 and 842) and Schonau (lines 842, 843 and 846)
From the North-West with the ICE from Dortmund, Essen, Dusseldorf, Cologne, Bonn, Koblenz, Mannheim, Stuttgart via Munich to Berchtesgaden.
By plane : The nearest airport is in Salzburg.
- The church “St. Bartholomew – Sankt Bartholoma, a famous pilgrimage church , located on a small peninsula on the right bank of the lake, around the middle of the lake,St. Bartholomew is the emblem of Lake Konigssee, and can only be reached by boat. A church dating from the 12th century.
- Explore by electric-powered passenger ship the Lake Konigssee , there is no path around the lake, so the boat is the only way to explore the Konigssee.
- breathtaking nature surrounding Lake Konigssee , The magnificent imposing cliffs of the Berchtesgaden Alps decline almost vertically to the banks of the lake , enjoy gorgeous views of the mountains reflected in the mirror-like surface, and the tall Rothbach waterfall.
- the rocky island of Christlieger with its statue of St. John of Nepomuk, and on to the famous echo wall : is the trumpet – or rather Flugelhorn – tune that echoes back to each boat as it pauses at “echo wall”.
- Jennerbahn , A short walk from the Konigssee parking lot brings you to the Jennerbahn , a small cable car that will take you to the top of Jenner mountain.ski run In winter.
Facilities : Former hunting lodge now Restaurant, parking lot / the Electric Boats : The boats run every day except December 24 / Opening hours of the tourist information at the parking Koenigssee , from 01.05.2019 , daily from 09:00 to 18:00
Activities : photo opportunities / Swimming in the lake / coffee and a cake, lunch or Bavarian snacks / Tour through the Weissbach Gorge / Biking , Numerous biking trails offer a diverse range of tours, for example to Thumsee Lake, around Saalachsee Lake / Paragliding , the Parataxi, which offers tandem jumps with a paraglider from the Jenner Mountain! /
paddle or rowboats for hire / explore the Konigssee by Electric boat / hiking ,15 minute walk to a smaller lake, the Obersee / From the southern end of Obersee 30 hike to the Rothbach waterfall / classic route in the Berchtesgaden area is a hike onto the Gotzenalm pasture -1,685 metres /
Go next : Obersee lake / Berchtesgaden / Exploring the Obersalzberg / Eagle’s Nest / The Berghof