The Lofoten Islands is an archipelago belonging to Norway. They are located in the Norwegian Sea, off the coast of Bodø and north of the Arctic Circle.
The setting of the Lofoten Islands has earned them a regular place in various lists of the most beautiful islands in the world. To this must be added the possibility of observing the midnight sun, from May 27 to July 17, as well as the possibility of observing whales.
Cod fishing is still the main activity of the Lofoten Islands. Tourism is growing a lot, mainly in summer. The islands are particularly suitable for climbing and hiking. Some people practice surfing on the Unstad side and ski touring in winter and spring.
Lofoten Islands in Northern Norway, famous for its picturesque fjords which is connected by bridges and tunnels, often described as one of the most scenic parts of the country.
Access : Coordinates: 68.333333, 14.666667 /
Highlights & Top-Rated Tourist Attractions in The Lofoten Islands :
- The Lofoten is a group of islands in Norway north of the Arctic Circle. The main islands are: Austvågøy ,Gimsoy ,Vestvågøy ,Flakstadøy ,Moskenesøy , Væroy ,Rust ,Skrova ,
Store Molla ,Lille Molla (uninhabited) , A part of Hinnøy and countless small islands also belong to the Lofoten. / Lofoten has two major cities and several smaller villages : City of Svolvær , City of Leknes , Kabelvåg , Gravdal , Stamsund , Ballstad , Sørland , Sørland ,Sørvågen , Henningsvær , Reine.
- Reine – despite the population of several hundred people, this small town is perhaps the main point of attraction for tourists in Lofoten.
- Kabelvåg is the oldest fishing village in Lofoten. Here you can eat delicious food and browse small shops.
- Midnight Sun: Although this natural phenomenon is called the midnight sun, the sun does not reach its lowest point until around 1:00 a.m. due to summer time. The midnight sun can be observed from May 27th to July 17th. The best places for this are Brenna, Eggum and Ramberg.
- Borg Viking Museum: on the island of Vestvågøy, on the E10 towards Leknes, approx. 55km south of Svolvær.
- Hiking: Hiking tours in Lofoten can be very strenuous, not because of the distance, but because of the difference in altitude. Trekking in the The Lofoten Islands : Svolvaer – Tjeldbergtind and back / Skrova – Høgskrova – circular route and back / Brenna in the glow of the midnight sun / Stamsund – Mannfallet – Steinetinden – Ramntinden and back / Reine – Vindstad – Buneset beach and back, easy tour, 3-4 hours / Å – Ågvatnet – saddle in front of Mengelsdalstindan and back.
- The beaches of Lofoten are well known. The British newspaper Times named Utakleiv the most romantic beach in Europe./ Hauklandsstranden was named Norway’s best beach by the Norwegian newspaper Dagbladet.
- In the town of Eggum on the island of Westvogey, an observation deck in the form of an amphitheater was erected in 2007 to observe the midnight sun.
- Trollfjord — is a small 2 km long fjord between the islands of Lofoten and Vesterålen.
- Tourist infrastructure : Various accommodations are available in Lofoten , There are hotels, camping options or you can even get a rorbu : The rorbu are the houses – fishing cabins of the fishermen of the archipelago. During the fishing season, in winter, they are used by them, while in summer they are rented to tourists. – Every municipality has at least one campsite.
- Things to see and do in Lofoten : The Lofoten Islands offers many rock climbing and mountaineering opportunities / Unstad is one of its better known locations for surfing. / Cycling : There is a well-marked cycling route that goes from Å ( Å, Moskenes, a village in Moskenes Municipality in Nordland county ) in the south and continues past Fiskebøl in the north.
Go next : Nusfjord , a fishing village in Flakstad Municipality in Lofoten in Nordland county, Norway./ Henningsvær is a fishing village in Vågan Municipality in Nordland County , Norway . It is located on several small islands off the southern coast of the large island of Austvågøya