Longyearbyen is the northernmost city in the world and capital of the region of Svalbard archipelago , in Norway.
Longyearbyen is located at 78° 13′ N 15° 39′ E, so due to the high latitude, almost half the year is permanent night, followed by an equal number of months with the midnight sun in sight. In Longyearbyen, the midnight sun lasts from April 20th to August 23rd and the Arctic night from October 26th to February 15th.
Most tourists visit the city during spring and summer when the long polar days allow for long stays outside and visiting the island’s spectacular fjord landscapes , for environmental reasons, it is not possible to access the entire territory of the island, as a large part of it is occupied by parks and nature reserves with restricted access. From February to November, several tour operators offer guided tours.
Access : Coordinates: 78.22, 15.65 /
Longyearbyen tourist spots, things to do in Longyearbyen, where to go in Longyearbyen & more:
- Longyearbyen It is located on the main island in the Svalbard , a Norwegian archipelago in the Arctic Ocean.
- Longyearbyen is the northernmost settlement in the world with a population exceeding 1,000.
- Longyearbyen is the gateway to Svalbard for most tourists and therefore has a relatively good range of hotels and restaurants.
- Longyearbyen is the northernmost settlement accessible by public transport, as there is a commercial airport on the outskirts of the city.
- Longyearbyen was founded in 1906 by the American entrepreneur John Munroe Longyear as a mining town.
- Among other things, there is a branch of the Norwegian Polar Institute (NPI) and UNIS, a project of Norwegian universities, as well as the Svalbard Global Seed Vault, a long-term storage facility for seeds. / Svalbard Museum / Svalbard Church / North Pole Expedition Museum / Spitsbergen Airship Museum. Exhibits on Arctic exploration by Amundsen / Kjell Henriksen Observatory / Numerous activities are offered in the glow of the midnight sun : You can choose from hiking , dog sledding , kayak tours , fat bike tours and snowmobile safaris , even a coal mining tour and more are offered by Svalbard’s many tourist guides. Even in the light winter between February and May, numerous tours are offered depending on the weather.
Go next : Barentsburg is the only remaining Russian settlement in Svalbard. / Pyramiden , a Russian mining settlement that was abandoned in 1998.