Saarburg is a town in the Trier-Saarburg district in Rhineland-Palatinate,Germany. It is located in the western part of the Saar-Hunsrück Nature Park on the banks of the Saar and at the mouth of the Leukbach.
In the middle of the city center located Saarburg’s main attraction , the 20 meter high waterfall Wasserfall Saarburg.
This natural spectacle is made by human hands: as an inner-city hydropower plant. In addition, in an urban masterpiece of the 11th or 12th century, the Saarburgers. diverted the Leukbach through the middle of the medieval town center into the Saar and let it plunge into the depths with the help of an artificial bed as a waterfall. The water power generated in this way was cleverly used to drive several mills.
Even today, with the help of the waterfall and a turbine, electricity is generated to illuminate the Saarburg butter market.
It was once directed into the city to serve as an energy supplier for local handicrafts ,today it is the main attraction of the city where you can find Many shops and restaurants along the cobblestone walk along the water way.
Access : Coordinates: / Location : Wasserfall Saarburg Buttermarkt 54439 Saarburg
- Saarburg is an Medieval town, stronghold of the counts then dukes of Luxembourg on the edge of the Saar , which gives it its name, it is crossed by the Leuck stream and its impressive waterfall from a height of 20 m in the middle of downtown.
- The butter market around the waterfall is the pulsating center of Saarburg.
- The waterfall at the Buttermarkt is freely accessible and can be viewed from several viewing platforms!
- Leuk goes through the town center to provide the ancient fire department off water in case of a fire
- Leukbach or Leuk is a river in Germany, a left tributary of the Saar River. The river basin area is 87.9 km². The length of the river is 15 km, of which 12 km the river flows through the Saarland, and the rest – through the Rhineland-Palatinate.
Go next : On the way between the waterfall and the castle complex there is a hidden gem – the Landratsgarten / The pulsating center of Saarburg.