Camber Castle is a fort built in the early sixteenth century on the territory of the British municipality of Camber, between Rye and Winchelsea in East Sussex in England,United Kingdom.
Between 1512 and 1514, Sir Edward Guldeford built a circular tower to defend the harbour. This tower is incorporated into a new fort built between 1539 and 1544. It is enlarged, taking on an almost symmetrical shape. Four turrets are added to the original tower, linked by an octagonal fortification, offering a covered passage. Finally, four semi-circular bastions serving as an artillery platform were added in front of each of the new towers,The final castle was originally equipped with 28 brass and iron cannons and a garrison of 28 men under the command of a captain. It was possibly in use in 1545 when a French fleet attacked the coast, but it was only in use for a short time.
today run by English Heritage, which reopened it after extensive renovations between 1968 and 1994 and is open to the public. It is a listed building of first degree.
Access : Coordinates: 50.93305, 0.73248 / Camber Castle located in the county of East Sussex and is part of the country of England, in the south-east of the country, 90 km south-east of London the country’s capital.
- Camber Castle is one of the ” Henryian castles”, built by Henry VIII of England to protect southern England.
- The completed castle was initially armed with 28 bronze and iron cannons and a garrison of 28 men commanded by a captain.
- The fort is an unusual example of an unaltered device fort and is listed as a Grade I historic building.
- The ruins became a popular place for picnics in the 18th and 19th centuries and were painted by J.M.W. Turner.
Go next : The castle is located about 1.5 kilometers south of the town of Rye ,a small town and civil parish in the Rother district, in East Sussex / Winchelsea , a small town in the non-metropolitan county of East Sussex.