Oud-Rekem is a village in the district of Rekem (municipality of Lanaken) in the province of Limburg in Belgium.
Rekem, located on the heirbaan Tongeren-Nijmegen, was inhabited early on. This is proven by the numerous finds from the Celtic, Gallo-Roman and Frankish times. The oldest known lord of the Rekem lordship is Arnold van Rekem (1108). The lordship consisted of Rekem-Stad and the hamlets of Boven- and Daalwezet. In the 13th and 14th centuries, Uikhoven and Boorsem were added. After the annexation of the County of Loon to the Prince-Bishopric of Liège, Rekem acquired the status of Barony in 1356.
The noble family of d’Aspremont-Lynden de Reckem ruled it continuously from 1590 to 1794. In 1623 the barony of Rekem was elevated to an imperial county. Rekem became a mini principality with its own currency, toll law, army and justice.
The entire old core of Rekem was protected as a cityscape in 1994, and 23 buildings and structures in it as a monument.
On May 29, 2008, Oud-Rekem was voted “the most beautiful village in Flanders” by Tourism Flanders.Oud-Rekem has also been named one of the most charming villages in Belgium by Travelmag. Stroll around Oud-Rekem and you will imagine yourself in an open-air museum.
Access : Coordinates: 50.925, 5.7072 / Oud-Rekem located in the Lanaken municipality of the Limburg province of Belgium.
- The castle d’Aspremont-Lynden in Maasland renaissance is located in Oud-Rekem, built in 1595 on the site of former castles. The counts of the county of Rekem lived in the castle, including Ferdinand Gobert d’Aspremont Lynden.
- The church of Oud-Rekem, located on the central Groenplaats, was the parish church of Rekem until 1956. The Baroque church building has lost its religious function and functions as an exhibition space and concert hall.
- On the western edge of Oud-Rekem is the Paterskerk, a monastery church of the Friars Minor, part of the former Friars Minor Monastery. The current parish church is St. Peter’s Church. The Dr. Humblé Museum Pharmacy is also located on Groenplaats.
- The Oude Weerd is a private nature reserve in Oud-Rekem, with hiking trails.
- The Museum Church is located at the Groenplaats in Oud-Rekem.
Go next : Luysmolen , an old restored mill ,part of a larger nature-education center near the De Luysen nature reserve, which is part of Grenspark Kempen-Broek.