the island of Rheinau ,is one of the river islands of the The Rhine river out of 6 total. located in the Canton of Zurich, Switzerland.
The island of Rheinau located on a strategically sheltered bend of the Rhine River which forms the Swiss-German border in this area , A bridge links Rheinau to Altenburg, in Jestetten municipality, Baden-Württemberg state.
More than a thousand years ago, the Rhine Island was chosen as the well-protected site of a monastery.a Benedictine abbey emerged in the 8th century. After its abolition in 1862, the facility was used as a psychiatric clinic from 1867 to 2000. Since 1998, the buildings on the peninsula have been rented to the Fintan Foundation. They are registered as Swiss cultural property of national importance.
The various buildings in the listed complex, which is owned by the Canton of Zurich, are currently being used for new purposes. The “Musikinsel Rheinau”, the home economics school, the restaurant “Klostergarten” and the “Haus der Stille” are already in operation. The museum is created in close cooperation with the cantonal authorities.
Access : Coordinates: 47.642222, 8.608333 / You can get to the Rheinau monastery by car from Zurich , On the A4 from Schaffhausen or Winterthur, take exit 8 Rheinau-Marthalen and drive to Rheinau. / Parking lot in front of the Rheinau municipal office , A small bridge leads to the monastery island. / Boat tours to the island with the abbey are conducted from the Rhine Falls. Bus 620 runs regularly from Martalen to Rheinau.
- the Rheinau Museum : A historical museum is being built in the abbey building of the former Rheinau Benedictine monastery.The Insel Museum Rheinau association is implementing the project in collaboration with cantonal and professional bodies.
- The former Rheinau monastery is located on a small island south of Rheinau, which was recently the seat of a psychiatric clinic and is to be used as accommodation and teaching facility for musicians in the future.
- the Rheinau Benedictine Abbey.: The monastery was founded around 778. According to legend, a rich nobleman in Schaffhausen fell asleep while fishing in his boat and was driven downstream. He didn’t even wake up when the boat crashed down the Rhine Falls. When he woke up, he realized that he had drifted ashore an hour below the Rhine Falls.
- The wooden bridge represents the border crossing between Germany and Switzerland. During the entire loop of the Rhine, the border runs in the middle of the river.
- On the north shore of the island you can walk to a chapel on the eastern tip of the island:Visit the Rheinau monastery church during the following opening times.April, May, October: Tue-Sat, 14:00 – 16:00 , Sun and holidays – from 13:30 to 17:00. June – September: Tue-Sat, 10:00 am to 12:00 pm and from 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm , Sun and holidays – from 10:30 to 12:00 and from 13:00 to 18:00. The church is closed from November 1st to the end of February. Outside of the opening times, the monastery church can only be visited by appointment.
Activities : sightseeing / photo opportunities / On the north shore of the island you can walk to a chapel on the eastern tip of the island ./ Guided tour for groups with reservation
Go next : The small town of Rheinau is located on the peninsula of the same name. A visit to the medieval village is also absolutely worthwhile. / the famous Rhine Falls.