Sermoneta is an Italian small city, located in the province of Latina, in the Lazio region, in central Italy.
Sermoneta is a medieval village 70 km southeast of Rome and 17 km northeast of Latina. The historic town center is located on a foothill of the steep southern slope of the Monti Lepini.
The well-preserved old town of Sermoneta is a tourist destination especially for day trippers from the surrounding cities to Rome. The municipality carries the Bandiera Arancione, a seal of quality in the field of tourism and environment of the TCI.
Access : Coordinates: 41.55, 12.983333 / Sermoneta located in the province of Latina, in the Lazio region of Italy.
- The Castello Caetani was founded by the noble Annibaldi family in the 13th century and expanded by the Caetani. Alexander VI had the castle expanded into a fortress by Antonio da Sangallo.
- North of Sermoneta lies the Valvisciolo Abbey, founded in the 8th century by Greek monks of the Order of Basilians, which for a time belonged to the Templar Order and was then taken over by the Cistercians. It has been a priory of Casamari Abbey since 1863
- From the 13th to the 16th century, Sermoneta was home to a thriving Jewish community. Traces of it remain in the neighborhood called “Portella” , where there is a building in which some have wanted to identify the old synagogue.
- Saint Joseph is considered the patron saint of the village. The holiday is celebrated annually on March 19th.
- Top sights in Sermoneta: Caetani Castle / Petrara Tower/ Polygonal walls (so-called “cyclopean”) of Mount Carbolino/ Palazzo Americi (16th century), now the seat of the Municipality.. / Palazzo De Marchis – Caetani (16th century), today home to the permanent exhibition on ceramics. / Remains of the Church of Santa Maria della Vittoria (16th century) / Church of Santa Maria delle Grazie / Church and former Convent of S. Francesco / Church of San Michele Arcangelo / frescoed by Girolamo Siciolante da Sermoneta (approx. 1550). / Church of San Giuseppe (16th century): inside the Caetani Chapel / Collegiate Church of Santa Maria Assunta in Cielo.
- International Festival Sermoneta in Folklore (August).
Go next : Latina : a city in Lazio in Italy, capital of the Province of Latina.