Tropea is a picturesque village – sea side resort located in the Calabria region, within the province of Vibo Valentia, in Calabria, southern Italy.
The town is a famous bathing place, situated on a reef, in the Gulf of Saint Euphemia connected with the mainland by a narrow strip in the Tyrrhenian Sea, toward the south with respect to Vibo Valentia and northward with respect to Ricadi and Capo Vaticano.
Access : Coordinates: 38.679167, 15.898611 / By air : The nearest airport is located in Lamezia Terme from where visitors can travel to Tropea either by bus or by train.
By bus from rome : bus (+/- 12 hrs : bus Lirosi Linee from Roma Tiburtina to Vibo Valentia, dep. 15:00 arr. 22:10 and dep. 22:30 arr. 05:30 daily, cost €29 /
Get around : walk around town quite easily since the few places to visit are located either in the historic center or close to the beach front. / hire car, you will be able to explore the other attractive beaches and viewpoints around Tropea.
- The Duomo , is the main Duomo or the cathedral of Tropea
- Centro Storico (Historical Center)the Romantic narrow streets with buildings from the 18th century / a touristic city with awesome food and nice atmosphere
- Tropea beaches , Marina di Tropea, 89861 Tropea, variety of restaurants , Warm sea and clean beach
- Sanctuary of Santa Maria dell’Isola , Via Marina Dell Isola SNC, 89861 Tropea, Open: 9:00 AM – 7:30 PM , a 6th-century Benedictine monastery, walk about 300 steps up a staircase built into the rock island with magnificent view
- Palazzo Vescovile or the Bishop’s Palace , at the same location is the Museo Diocesano that has a collection of religious art , open only through April to October
- Piazza Ercole , several impressive buildings on all sides of the square / Corso Vittorio Emmanuele , favorite place for locals as well as the tourists
- Red Onions of Tropea / The Virgin Mary Of Romania , In the Norman cathedral of Tropea there is a picture of Virgin Mary of Romania, of Byzantine origin, dating from around 1330.
- Tropea Castle , which was destroyed in 1876 / Chiesa Della Sanita o dei Cappuccini , Via Della Sanita, 89861 Tropea, church and monastery
- Chiesa del Gesu , Largo Gesuiti, Tropea, free entry , visit the museum / Chiesa dell’Annunziata ( Church of the Annunciation ) Via Campo Inferiore, Tropea, it was built Around 1296 in Gothic style, the first Franciscan church in Tropea, dedicated to St. Peter
- Chiesa di San Michele Arcangelo ,Largo San Michele, 89861 Tropea, near the crossroad Via Carmina and Viale Stazione
Activities : Sailing & Mini-Cruises / Day Tour to the Aeolian Islands / excursions/hiking take place throughout the Aspromonte National Park of Calabria in Italy. / snorkeling / ATV Tours / Stromboli Trekking from Tropea including Overnight Stay / Rent a Boat and discover the Coast of the Gods / Wine and Food Tasting in the vineyard / cooking experience in Tropea
Events : Tropea Blues Festival , Every September, the Tropea Blues Festival features several international acts who perform in various scenic locations throughout the town. / Festival of Madonna of Romania.
Go next : Maratea / Amantea / Aeolian Islands / Sicily / Reggio di Calabria / Messina.