Glottertal is a town in the district of Breisgau-Hochschwarzwald in the southwest of Baden-Wuerttemberg near Freiburg im Breisgau- in southern Germany , Submits to the administrative district of Freiburg. It is part of the Breisgau – Upper Black Forest region. surrounded by the highest vineyards in Germany. The community is located on the Black Forest panoramic road and on the Baden Wine Route.
Mining in Glottertal : In the Middle Ages mining of lead-silver ores and iron ores was of great importance. The name of a mine as Herzogenberg can refer to the Eichberg and creates a connection with the Dukes of Zahringen, who had here very likely mining rights and 1218 extinct. Historical and archaeological sources confirm the flourishing of mining in the second half of the 13th century. At that time also one of the most important
monuments of the history of technology, the Urgraben, was erected, with which for the first time mechanical water elevators were operated in Central Europe. Silver, zinc and iron were mined mainly. The glottertal counted thereby to the wealthy areas of the Black Forest. In the 14th century, mining was abandoned. Attempts in the early 16th century to let the mining flourish again, had no great success.
The town is located in the region where the Central Black Forest passes to the Southern Black Forest south of the Elz River in the valley of the Glotter stream.
On the one hand the Glotter valley is limited by the Kandel massif and on the other side by the Ro?kopf and its foothills. It extends from an altitude of 280 m above sea level where the entrance to the Unterglottertal neighborhood (lower Glotter Valley) is located to the top of the Kandel (1241 m above sea level). Its neighboring municipalities are in the west Heuweiler and Denzlingen and in the east St. Peter.
Vineyards in Glottertal : The oldest known written evidence of viticulture in Glottertal dates back to around 1580 and mentions vines in connection with the former Winterbach Castle.
Today Tourism is an important economic activity in Glottertal The glacier valleys gastronomy has a good reputation in the region and attracts many city dwellers from Freiburg and Emmendingen.
In the 1980s Glottertal served partly as an outside backdrop of the series The Black Forest Clinic. Since 2009, the series Animals is turned up to the roof here.
Access : Coordinates: 48.048611, 7.955 / Location: in the middle Black Forest, 12 km northeast of Freiburg.
A 5 exit Freiburg-Nord / Through the Glottertal the country road 112 runs from Denzlingen to St. Peter. In the Unterglottertal the district road branches off to Fohrental. / By bus line 7205 Sudbadenbus GmbH Glottertal is half-hourly connected to the station Denzlingen (from there S-Bahn to Freiburg). There are also hourly buses to St. Peter and the Kandel.
By bus line 7205 Sudbadenbus GmbH Glottertal is half-hourly connected to the station Denzlingen (from there S-Bahn to Freiburg). There are also hourly buses to St. Peter and the Kandel.
- Katholische Pfarrkirche Sankt Blasius, St. Blasius is the Roman Catholic parish church of Glottertal, a along the Glotter located community in the district Breisgau-Hochschwarzwald of Baden-Wurttemberg. The parish forms with the parishes of St. Remigius in Heuweiler, St. James in Denzlingen and St. Felix and Regula in Reute, which also includes the St. Maximilian Kolbe Church in Vorstetten, the pastoral care unit An der Glotter of the Archbishopric of Freiburg.
- Carlsbau , The Carlsbau is a clinic building in Glottertal in the district of Breisgau-Hochschwarzwald in Baden-Wurttemberg. He was known as the outside scenery of the Black Forest clinic in the eponymous ZDF television series nationwide.
- Hilzingermuhle , The Hilzingermuhle is considered the oldest mill in the district Breisgau-Hochschwarzwald, it was built in 1621 by the then Hilzingerhof farm Johann Hilzinger and served over the centuries as a flour mill.
- Vineyards in Glottertal . The oldest known written evidence of viticulture in Glottertal dates back to around 1580 and mentions vines in connection with the former Winterbach Castle. The climax of viticulture in the Glottertal in the second half of the 19th century. At that time, not only on the Eichberg and Schlossberg vineyards, but almost every farmer had planted on his land, sometimes to very high elevations.
- hiking trails. “Glottertal valleys discovery trail” : discovery path is an exciting theme path for young and old. Experience the diverse landscape, culture and history of the Glottertal close up.
- The Glottertal nature loungers : The glacier valleys natural loungers offer many pleasurable pauses for pleasure, inviting hikers to take a break in the midst of fascinating nature at many beautiful vantage points.
- Experience Kandel : The Kandel is the local mountain (1243m above sea level) of the Glottertal and the highest mountain in the middle Black Forest. It is located between Glottertal, Elz and Simonswaldertal.
Activities : sightseeing / photo opportunities / trekking / cycling / Enjoy our Baden cuisine / hiking and biking tours in Glottertal / Enjoy sunny views on varied paths.
Go next : Black Forest / Staufen / Vogtsbauernhof / Titisee, a popular Black-Forest town / Schluchsee, a lake in the Black Forest / Emmendingen / Heidelberg / Freiburg