Monterosso al Mare is located at the center of a small natural gulf, protected by a small artificial reef, to the east of Punta Mesco in the Riviera of La Spezia, Italy.
It is the westernmost of the Cinque Terre. In the west part of the original village, beyond the hill of the Capuchins, it is the village of Fegina, natural expansion and characterized by a relatively modern tourist resort facility compared to the ancient village that is reachable through a tunnel of a few tens of meters. The local train station is located at Fegina and the beaches are relatively larger compared to the narrow cliffs that characterize the other villages of the Cinque Terre.
The town is divided into two distinct parts: the old town and the new town. The two areas are divided by a single tunnel that caters to pedestrians and the very few cars in the town. The beach at Monterosso runs along most of the coast line and is well used by tourists and locals. The beach is the only extensive sand beach in the Cinque Terre. Monterosso is a small town overrun by tourists in the summer months.
Access : Coordinates: / By plane :
Cinque Terre is not serviced by any airports, but flying to this celebrated destination is possible by means of the several airports located in the big cities in the vicinity of Cinque Terre. Thus, the Cristoforo Colombo Airport of Genoa (north of Cinque Terre) and the Galileo Galilei Aiport in Pisa (south of Cinque Terre) are the most straightforward solutions, given the distance between Cinque Terre and each of these airports is around 100 kilometers.
By train : Getting to Cinque Terre by train is deemed one of the best alternatives not only by force of the fact the region is linked to virtually the entire Italy by the railway infrastructure By car : to get to Cinque Terre by car must learn Autostrada Auzzura (A 12) is the only motorway in the region, delineating the east extremity of Cinque Terre. Yet, in order to get to Cinque Terre proper, visitors must take the sundry exits and turn to the adequate combination of roads in order to reach to Riomaggiore, Manarola, Corniglia, Vernazza or Monterosso al Mare or, in fact, to any other village in the region.
- The National Park of Cinque Terre , Statue of the Giant – Il Gigante
- The “Yellow pagoda” , Convent of Cappuccini and Church of San Francesco
- Church of San Giovanni Battista , Oratory of Confraternita dei Neri
- Oratory of Confraternita dei Bianchi, Santa Croce , Aurora tower , Centro de salagione delle acciughe – Anchovy salting center
- beaches : Fegina Beach , Vernazza or Corniglia , Manarola and Riomaggiore.
- Activities : Diving in Cinque Terre Associazione Diving 5 Terre is headquartered in Riomaggiore, Hiking : Portovenere – Levanto Trail , Blue Path (Sentiere Azzuro), ties together Riomaggiore and Monterosso,The Way of Sanctuaries .
Go next : Corniglia / Riomaggiore / Vernazza /