Ferragudo is a small town in the Algarve in southern Portugal.
the first records of the present-day place date from the 14th century, in which there are reports of newly settled fishermen.
It is a land of fishermen that has always been closely linked to the river and the sea. Today, although it maintains the same connection to the sea, its economic activity is linked to tourism.
This small traditional village on the Atlantic Ocean not only sits on a picturesque coastline with dramatic cliffs, but also has simple and beautiful architecture that blends in perfectly with its surroundings.
In addition to the village itself, one of the most beautiful parts of the Algarve coastline awaits you with majestic cliffs, caves and golden beaches.
Access : Coordinates: 37.124, -8.521 / The capital Lisbon is located 278 kilometers north, and the nearest international airport is 68 kilometers east, in Faro / The town is connected to the motorway network via Lagoa and its connection to the A22.
- central square of the town – Praça Rainha Dona Leonor : This cute square is home to many taverns and cafes where locals and travelers come for breakfast, lunch and dinner. / Church of Nossa Senhora da Conceição.
- The beaches : There are two of them in the resort: Praia Grande and Praia do Pintadinho, Praia do Pintadinho, is located between the protective dam and the lighthouse. At both ends, the surf and wind dug beautiful caves into the rocks.
- The promenade, near which many boats are constantly anchored, are surrounded by traditional houses, and in them several fish restaurants. At its end is the historic Coast Guard building.
- The Ponta do Altar lighthouse : The Ponta do Altar Lighthouse is a lighthouse located on the Ponta do Altar in the freguesia de Ferragudo of the municipality of Lagoa, in the Faro district.
- São João do Arade fortress. It acquired its present appearance in the 17th century, but its history dates back at least to the 15th century.In the XX century, the famous Portuguese poet Coelho Carvalho lived here and now this castle is still a private property, so it will not be possible to visit it.
Activities : sightseeing / photo opportunities / walk through the village itself / a lighthouse next to Praia do Pintadinho offering the best views of neighboring Portimão.
Go next : Carvoeiro , a village in Algarve / The city of Portimão / Faro – the gateway to the Algarve region / Lagos , a city in the Algarve, in the south of Portugal.