Menton is a popular resort city located on the French Riviera, in the Provence region, near the border with Italy. It is located almost on the Italian border, halfway between the Italian city of Ventimiglia and the principality of Monaco.
The foundation of the population was made by the Ligurians, (who also founded Monaco and other nearby towns), and after various historical ups and downs, in which it changed vassalage again and again, it became a city around 1200. From 1346 to 1848, the city of Chin belonged to the Principality of Monaco, with the only interruption of the French Revolution. After a brief period in which it belonged to Sardinia, in 1860 it became part of France, as a result of a referendum. During World War II it was occupied by Italy, from 1940 to 1943.
This last French city in front of the Italian border is known for its casino and international music festival. In February, a bright “Lemon Festival” is celebrated with processions and carnivals, because Menton is the only city in Europe where lemon trees bloom and bear fruit all year round, thanks to the unusually mild microclimate. He also explains the splendor of parks and gardens – the wealth and pride of the city.
Access : Coordinates:43.775, 7.5 / In Menton there is an SNCF train station, where night trains from Paris (Gare Austerlitz station) come, as well as direct trains from Nice, Antibes, Cannes and Monaco – Monte Carlo.
/ Menton is easily accessible from Nice Airport. Bus connections on the Cote d’Azur: Nice Airport – Menton, Menton – Nice Airport.
- St. Basilica Archangel Michael : The Basilica of Saint-Michel is the pearl of Baroque architecture. Over 100 thousand tourists come annually to admire the temple. The construction of the cathedral began in 1640 under Honor II, but stretched for several centuries. The facade was renovated in the 19th century, when typical architectural elements of this time were added to it – columns with ionic and Corinthian capitals
- The old town of Menton – mostly pedestrian, gives a special charm to this tranquil resort.The winding streets, lost in the gardens, will lead you to a busy center, where there are many small boutiques and shops, art studios and small markets: the flower shop at Place du Marche and Sunday gastronomic and flea markets / Mare Nostrum Brewery in Castillon.
- Jean Cocteau Museum : The museum exhibits a huge modern interactive collection of drawings, ceramics, carpets and large mosaics made by Jean Cocteau (1889-1963), a French writer, poet, playwright, artist and film director, anticipating the emergence of surrealism.
- Menton beaches : Menton is a city of magnificent beaches. Near the Italian border there are simply a huge number of them, both sandy and pebble. The beaches in Menton are clean and well maintained, each equipped with showers. Underground sewage treatment systems are, as a rule, the last word of high technologies; they will provide clean sea waters to vacationers.
- Menton Bastion : The bastion is located in the city port. The bastion was built on the high seas by the princes of Monaco.
- Menton Museum of Fine Arts : Musee des Beaux-Arts du Palais Carnoles. The museum is located in the former summer residence of the Princes of Monaco Grimaldi. The museum’s collection contains the works of the best artists of modern art, as well as an outstanding collection of paintings from the 13th to the 20th centuries. The museum also hosts temporary exhibitions. Admission is free.
- Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary and St. Nicholas the Wonderworker / Eglise de Notre-Dame joie des affliges et Saint-Nicolas le Thaumaturge.
- Gardens and parks of Menton : Parc du Pian,Jardin Exotique,Villa Fontana Rosa. / The Menton Cemetery is located on a hilltop and offers stunning views of the coast and the city.
- Grieving Chapel : Notre-Dame-des-Affliges or Chapelle Orthodoxe Russe is an Orthodox church erected in a Russian cemetery at the highest point of the city.
- Mountain villages : In the suburbs of Menton, you can see the most picturesque mountain villages (the so-called villages perches). The two most beautiful of them are Ste Agnes and Gorbio.
Events : Fete du Citron – , From February 16 to March 5, the famous Lemon Festival : Giant structures (sometimes reaching heights of up to 10 meters) and citrus ornaments are being erected in the Bioves Garden.
Activities : sightseeing / photo opportunities – Architecture Photography / Scenic Driving- Auto Touring
Go next : Mountain villages : the medieval mountain villages of Provence, among which are Eze, Gorbio, Roquebrune and Sainte-Agnes.. / The Principality of Monaco is less than 10 km away / Villefranche-sur-Mer